Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

1.2 can't function independently

• PJ
    Participant

@pjnu

In the earlier version, I could have regular WP themes (that I payed quite a bit for) be the primary front of my site, and as users wished, jump into the buddypress theme/section by clicking a link in the BP menubar. This new version seems to eliminate the option of having a wordpress theme and a buddypress theme.

In 1.2, the options seem to be:

1. Continue with the old version so I can use the premium themes the company has spent a lot on so users could have a rich media experience and access the buddypress (with an independent theme) as they wished, or

2. Use this new version where the bp theme and WP theme are seemingly merged. I’m not sure if it’s wpmu or the BP redesign, but it severely limits the amount of flexibility my site has.

Is there a way to have my premium wordpress theme be the theme and have the buddypress plugin have its own component and part of the site? Thank you.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Version 1.1 actually eliminated the BuddyPress and WordPress themes. You needed one of each, now it is all in the WordPress theme. This isn’t new to 1.2; 1.2 just comes with a new theme (and the 1.1 theme has been renamed to bp-classic).

As per your last question, if you are on WPMU, you could create a blog and have BuddyPress run on that blog. Your main “site” would run on the main blog.

designodyssey
    Participant

@designodyssey

I think I know what you’re after and my answer would be – not without customization.

You could have your WP theme as the parent and bp theme as the child. Even with this setup, you’d need to modify the BP theme so it didn’t interfere with the parent which is what you’d want folks to see most of the time.

I encourage you to take a look at the structure of Buddymatic where Ron took Thematic and added the key buddypress templates and functions to create a “unified” parent theme. You could do that or leave the WP stuff as the parent and put your BP stuff as the child. Remember the child “overwrites” the parent so where you don’t want the parent overriden (e.g. home page), you need to remove/rename that file in the child.

I know it’s a bit confusing, but take a look at thematic and the new parent/child structures.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

The answer is not to use the bp-default theme anymore.

Switch to bp-classic or your own theme, and you’ll be back to normal.

The purpose of BP out of the box, is to provide you with everything you need to make a social network, including the theme to do it. If you haven’t been making your theme a child of bp-sn-parent, or you made your own custom theme, then you’re on your own as a developer to fill the gaps in your custom theme.

symm2112
    Participant

@symm2112

@djpaul

With the option of running bp on a subblog by defining the root blog as “2”, does that stop the buddybar from appearing on the main blog so that it only appears when you visit the bp enabled blog? If you set the root blog as fans.blah.com and set multiblog to true, would the buddybar then read that the links should go to fans.blah.com/members, etc?

Just trying to figure out if I need either/or of these two options.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘1.2 can't function independently’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar