Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

1.9 top features – ideas

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)

• Ben Hansen
    Participant

@ubernaut

not sure i follow some of those tickets but i’d say my top 2 wish list items would be import/export functions and more anti-spamming stuff.

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

import/export functions

Can you elaborate?

Ben Hansen
    Participant

@ubernaut

for buddypress data

Tammie Lister

@karmatosed

Unless I fell asleep in a dev chat 1.9 isn’t being scoped yet.

Asynaptic
    Participant

@synaptic

I like your enthusiasm but it seems you’re getting a bit ahead of yourself. The trac for 1.8 has been on 100 active and outstanding tickets for weeks on end now and there is no discussion of 1.9 anywhere.

But as long as we’re throwing out ideas for the upcoming, I’d like to vote for throttling as discussed here:

https://buddypress.org/support/topic/best-way-to-limit-friend-requests-to-avoid-spam

Ben Hansen
    Participant

@ubernaut

+1 for that, was my primary thought regarding the anti-spam functionality i was referring to. actually had a sort of deep thought about that the other day.

i think in todays landscape on the internet spam is becoming an ever increasing issue and without doubt buddypress sites/admins are bearing in inordinate brunt of that battle. Now that we have lowered the bar of entry there is (if we have our way) liable to be a lot more fresh targets for these malicious interests. Nothing dissipates the enjoyment (by admins or users) of a social network faster or more easily then spamming. Not to in any way subtract from the great strides that have already been made in this regard, we owe it to not only our own community but the internet as a whole to be proactive and step up our game in regards to making these leaches lives more difficult.

Now stepping down from the soap box 😛

Asynaptic
    Participant

@synaptic

@ubernaut and others, re spam, I would appreciate hearing from the more experienced dev and web masters about the pros and cons of a private membership site.

By not allowing just anyone to become a member you automatically arrest spam. Of course, you also impede your growth because legitimate users can’t join.

One way to get around this is to use the great invite anyone plugin and have the original number of ‘seed’ members invite their friends and their friends invite their friends and so on.

Limited but organic growth in members and a total elimination of spam!

What do you guys think?

bp-help
    Participant

@bphelp

Just my two cents worth but why are you initiating a topic on something that is tangibly 2 years away? I suggest letting the natural flow progression happen unless you are an awesome developer that submits usable patches. I think the core team does a great job and overwhelming them with ideas of a 1.9 version is premature at this juncture.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

It’s all cool. This is the Requests and Feedback forum 🙂

@sooskriszta
    can share the enhancement tickets he/she posted in BuddyPress Trac and lobby for such, exercising first amendment rights. Ticket #5008 reminds me of the original BP theme which had the avatars of group admin/mod under the avatar with member avatars below it 🙂

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

@bphelp I think you aren’t giving the developers enough credit. Version releases have been accelerating
    1.2 to 1.5 took 20 months
    1.5 to 1.6 took 11 months
    1.6 to 1.7 took 8 months

Trac can be deceptive, but based on current roadmap https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/roadmap 32% of 1.8 is completed and 1.8 is due in July (7 weeks from now). Even if that is revised and we get 1.8 only in November, we could possibly see 1.9 as early as May next year (or we may not…this is pure speculation).

Eitherway, most major projects I know close scoping for a version long before a beta of the previous version is released.

@mercime
    Thanks. BTW #4796 was started by Boone.

w.r.t. #5008, the idea is to have widget for “previews” of the different tabs. Site/Group admins can decide for themselves which widgets (or even none at all) they want to show on the member profile page.

In a similar vein, groups could have member widgets too (though I havent requested them yet, and there is no ticket for them). I think it’s pretty reasonable to show some group members on the group profile.

bp-help
    Participant

@bphelp

@sooskriszta
    Well it would be a nice treat if It did come that early but I believe in setting realistic goals. Since others are adding ideas, I will add that I believe BuddyPress Activity Privacy plugin by @megainfo should be added to the core. It would be sweet if @megainfo would submit a patch. Anyway Cheers! 🙂

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

@bphelp Are you referring to this one? https://wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress-activity-privacy/

The description says

The plugin add the ability for members to choose who can read his activity before it posted (Anyone, Logged In Users, My Friends, Admins Only, Only me, My Friends in Group , Group Members …etc).

bp-help
    Participant

@bphelp

@sooskriszta
    Yes, that is the plugin. It would compliment the profile privacy that is already in place. I would love to see this added to the core. 🙂

Henry

@henrywright-1

Upload profile image at activation https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4132

+1 to that idea or any way of encouraging users to add an avatar during sign up.

A big improvement could also be made to the activity stream. Currently it isn’t possible to have personal activity AND friend’s activity in the same feed. Would be nice.

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

@bphelp 1.8 Beta 1 is out so there’s a real possibility that 1.8 might be released in mid-July as scheduled.

Faint ray of hope that 1.9 might come as early as Jan/Feb 2014 🙂

Ben Hansen
    Participant

@ubernaut

when i suggested the possibility that we may be finished in July i was swiftly corrected that we will be sticking to the schedule. 😀

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

Mid July IS the schedule. 🙂

Ben Hansen
    Participant

@ubernaut

yeah you said might just thought i would relay the official response to that. 😉

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

Another one on my list: Hierarchical Groups with upwards member propagation: https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3961

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

@bphelp 17 July and 1.8 is out. Hallelujah, and hope lives on for 1.9 around year-end or Jan/Feb 2014…

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

@bphelp What do you know…1.9 Beta is out already… https://buddypress.org/2013/11/buddypress-1-9-beta-1-is-now-available/ 🙂

Maybe I should change these to 2.0 feature requests…

bp-help
    Participant

@bphelp

@sooskriszta
    No need in calling me out on this as I am not impressed at all with just a version number. A version number is not a big deal when there is not any major features added that I have not already found solutions for, so please save your pings next time. See:
    http://wpmu.org/what-not-to-expect-in-buddypress-1-9/

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

Guess I didn’t check the announcement carefully enough…I was genuinely expecting the new template pack in 1.9 🙁

Ben Hansen
    Participant

@ubernaut

@sooskriszta one of the primary goals of the last few releases has been to make them more frequent and to stick to the schedule come hell or high-water. the idea is that more frequent updates will facilitate more innovation and features. the template pack as i understand it, was too big a task to make the deadline for 1.9 given the manpower at hand. i think any contribution of labor would help make sure it makes the cut for version 2.

bp-help
    Participant

@bphelp

@ubernaut
    At one point I was feeling some fire with development but I have to admit the fire smoldered and eventually died. I just don’t see any passion in this anymore! Everything 1.9 offered I have fixed months and months ago in my my own development server, so it is just a boring version release with nothing all that special plus it is a beta so some **** may get stripped out!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • The topic ‘1.9 top features – ideas’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar