Categories
Search
Bottom

.19 ready for a live site?

bplove
    Participant

@bplove

@foxly

So I’m clear on .19, do you recommend launching a live site with the .19 nightly build as long as the developer is comfortable working with it? Or is .19 only for testing and not for a live site at this time? If we do launch with the .19 build as is will it easily upgrade to the full version when launched, or is it quite risky to launch with the .1.9 build right now and we should wait until a new full release takes place?

Also, group albums are such a powerful and key feature, they add a massive layer to the whole project. I suggest adding this feature in sooner than later would gain a lot of support from some of the more happening bp communities.

Gratitude to you and the bpAlbum+ team!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    foxly
    Participant

@foxly

@bplove

Using 0.1.9 on a live site would not be a good idea. The data model will probably change before release (so you would lose all uploaded content) and we have not done the pre-release security audits on it yet, so the *nightly builds* of 0.1.9 *might* be venerable to XSS and SQL injection attacks.

We’re working to get 0.1.9 finished as quickly as possible. In the meantime, use version 0.1.7 and it will upgrade to 0.1.9 when we release the new version.

As for group albums, please see this issue tracker entry for the latest updates on this feature:

http://code.google.com/p/buddypress-media/issues/detail?id=5

Thanks!

^F^

bplove
    Participant

@bplove

@foxly thanks for the tips.

Right now it appears as though there is no solution for a WP 3.0 site for the album software? Images are not showing up for me with version 0.1.7 on WP 3.0 That is quite unfortunate. I’m a supporter of BPAlbum+ but may be forced to launch with the gallery software instead and moving over the data from one solution to another down the road may not be feasable. … bummer

techguy
    Participant

@crashutah

@bplove
    I’m in the same position as you. It sucks, but I need to launch my site.

foxly
    Participant

@foxly

@bplove @crashutah

Well, the tagging functions (minus tag search) are now finished, so I’m starting on finishing up the data model now. We will probably have something you can at least get started with within a few days. You can follow this up-to-the-second by following our feed, located here:

http://code.google.com/p/buddypress-media/updates/list

Also guys, do images show up for you in version 0.1.9? Because if they do, I can build you a patched version of 0.1.7 which handles files the same way and you might be able to use that in the interim.

^F^

techguy
    Participant

@crashutah

Thanks for the work @foxly I know you’re busting your butts coding this. That’s actually why I want to use it so bad. In my case, the group albums will be the core feature I have to offer with my site. So, without that it’s pretty much a no go for me.

I’ll keep watching and may use the bp-links and oembed in the meantime. We’ll see how it progresses. Backup plan is to go with the paid one that’s out there, but the conversion later is what I want to avoid.

foxly
    Participant

@foxly

@bplove @crashutah

One of the reasons this plugin is taking so long to complete is that we’re building a very sophisticated security and privacy model for it that handles the sort of things that people do on *real* websites ..and these become very, very complicated situations to handle.

I mean, consider just a “simple” group album.

Let’s say you have a user with two albums: “Private” and “Public” who is a member of two groups “Naughty” and “Nice”. The user sets the “Private” album to be viewable to friends only, and the “Public” album to be visible by everyone. Meanwhile the “Naughty” group is visible only to members, while the “Nice” group is visible to everyone.

So first off, we need to ensure that when a user uploads images to the “Private” album, it generates activity stream posts, but they are only visible to the user’s friends. Next we must make sure that when the user posts images to the “Naughty” group, those images generate activity stream posts *that are only visible to members of that group*, and when the user posts images to the “Public” album or the “Nice” group, they’re visible to everyone.

Then we have to handle the situation of contributing images to groups. The “nice” group lets everyone upload, so their images are auto-approved. But the “Naughty” group only shows images after the admin approves them. The activity posts have to be synchronized to that as well …you don’t want to post an image to the activity stream that nobody can view.

Then we have to answer the question of “When an image is posted to a group, who owns the image”. Does it belong to the group? or does it belong to the user? Because a group admin should be allowed to remove inappropriate files, but what happens if that file is the only copy in existence because the member that contributed it’s camera was stolen?

And what happens if the user decides they want to contribute an image from the “Private” album to the “Nice” group? Now we have to resolve conflicting security permissions, because the images in that album are only visible to friends of the user, but the “Nice” group is a public group.

Should group owners be allowed to request images to be added to their group? How do we deal with an annoying user that repeatedly submits an image to a group, even though its been declined by the group admin? What about group admins that want a user to be a member of the group, but don’t want them to be allowed to upload images? How about groups that only want admins to be able to upload images?

And what do we do if a user has contributed hundreds of images to groups, but then decides to delete their account? Do we let the groups keep the images, or do we delete all their uploaded content? And if we don’t delete all their content, what happens if a spammer uploads hundreds of ad images to every group on the site?

And on and on.

We have huge design documents that explain all these problems. Here’s the one for group albums:

http://code.google.com/p/buddypress-media/issues/detail?id=5

So sure, you can go with other plugins. We won’t be upset. It’s not like we’re losing your business or something…lol.

Actually, we’re building this plugin for *us* and *our* sites.

But if you do pick a different plugin, keep in mind the kind of issues you could be up against in the future if *your* site is successful!

At some point it becomes impossible to go in and manually deal with all these scenarios …because you have 10,000 users… and then you end up making developers like me rich writing custom code to fix your site. The reason we’re putting so much time into getting things right is because we’ve been through these sorts of problems like 8 times before with other sites and applications …and we want to get it right the *first* time with this plugin.

So, why not spend some more time working on your site layout while we get the plugin finished, or perhaps if you’re really keen, help us with testing it.

Thanks!

^F^

mvvspr
    Participant

@mvvspr

@foxly
    You are doing an amazing work.I really like the features of BPalbum+
    I have even played a while with the Bp Album+ 0.1.9 and it has many features compared to 0.1.7 and I have no problem for waiting till the final release of Bp Album+ 0.1.9

@foxly @bplove @crashutah
    Its better to develop a full fledged product than handling some problems later on.
    I believe Patience ultimately Pays off.

bplove
    Participant

@bplove

@foxly

Gratitude for the detailed explanation, I do feel BP Album is the right choice for the long run.

The sooner a release can make it out that can be used on a live site with 3.0 the better. After that, Group albums is a very key feature, without the privacy options to get going would be fine of course from a user perspective, but I understand might be harder to do a release without privacy then add them in later, but from a user perspective would be ideal.

Still debating the gallery, but I really want to hold off for a release of album that is stable enough to use on live site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with 3.0, big community launch here.

foxly
    Participant

@foxly

@bplove

So just a progress update here: we’re now about half way through the changes to the data model.

If you’re following our plugin’s activity stream on Google Code http://code.google.com/p/buddypress-media/updates/list …the next things to look out for are: “decoupling buddypress media multi-item activity stream posts BP activity stream posts from plugin meta table”, “decoupling buddypress media single item activity stream posts BP activity stream posts from plugin meta table”, “decoupling buddypress media member like posts BP activity stream posts from plugin meta table”, and “buddypress media data model final check”.

Then the data model will be finished and we’ll make a post saying you can use version 0.1.9 of the plugin for new sites without losing data.

^F^

bplove
    Participant

@bplove

@foxly sounds sweet.

rolandogomez

@rolandogomez

Thanks for the update, can’t wait. I’ll be happy to test it for you. thanks!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.