Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

404 header errors with bpAlbum activated [RESOLVED]

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    foxly
    Participant

@foxly

@thekmen

It’s because

a) there is a massive design defect in WordPress and,
    b) the core developers refuse to fix it (last we checked).

Basically, WordPress is built on URL redirect system. You go to a specific URL. It fetches the content. But the content doesn’t really exist at the URL that you specify.

Somebody decided “well, if its not a BLOG POST we should automatically 404 the page” … send back the content, yes, but add a 404 header. Just because we feel like it. And, they made it extremely difficult to disable the 404. There is NO hook or override for it. So we have to manually intercept *every* header that WordPress sends out, check if its from one of our pages, and set it to a 200 if it is.

We haven’t finished updating our header scanning function to handle all the new pages yet. I think I might actually add an option to “click here to fix WordPress 404 errors for ALL PLUGINS on the server”

Thanks!

^F^

thekmen
    Participant

@thekmen

@foxky, thanks for the fast response.
    the header 404 errors happen on all buddypress pages as soon as the 0.1.9 branch of bpAlbum is activated.
    without the plugin activated all other buddypress pages & buddypress plugin pages are fine.
    any idea of a quick fix? I want to keep the plugin activated but it’s stopping my buddypress pages getting indexed by the search engines.

foxly
    Participant

@foxly

@thekmen

I’ll see if I can get it fixed in tonight’s build. This is a challenging problem though, and it might take a couple of iterations to get it really nailed down. The fact that its causing a 404 in *all* bp plugins means there is a defect in our code somewhere.

Google is smart about the 404 thing btw. They’ll index a page that throws a 404 but spits back real content. Type in “That page does not exist” in Google. 35 million results.

^F^

thekmen
    Participant

@thekmen

thanks @foxly.
    do you want bugs reported on the nightly build?

foxly
    Participant

@foxly

@thekmen

If it doesn’t do anything at all, skip it for now. If it throws an error or does something clearly wrong, yes, absolutely. You guys are helping us get this plugin out twice as fast.

Thanks!

^F^

thekmen
    Participant

@thekmen

cool, it’s just things not working so will leave off for now.
    the 0.1.9 branch is shaping up really well, well done.

thekmen
    Participant

@thekmen

@foxly, have tracked down the 404 header error problem.

removing `$bp_no_status_set` from the global in `bp_album_upload_ajax()` or `$bp_no_status_set = true;` from the same function fixes the issue.
    found in `includes/upload/sub-upload-ajax.php`

this is the only file with any mention of $bp_no_status_set & these are the only two mentions of it, so I presume it is safe to remove?

foxly
    Participant

@foxly

@thekmen

That’s the kind of user input we like!

Removed in 0.1.9.2010-06-25. Tested. Works.

Thanks!

^F^

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘404 header errors with bpAlbum activated [RESOLVED]’ is closed to new replies.