Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

500 Error after uploading BuddyPress 1.0.2

• Justin Brock
    Participant

@justinbrock

I am getting a server error 500 every time I try to upload BuddyPress 1.0.2.

I uploaded buddypress 1.0.2 to the plugins folder – result = error 500

I installed buddypress 1.0.2 from the plugins panel – result = error 500

This is on a fresh WordPress mu 2.7.1 installation.

What am i doing wrong?

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Possible that the themes are missing or deactivated somehow. Are you able to access the admin area? If so, can you make sure you have a member theme active and in the correct location? Same with your home theme?

Jeremiah Stover

@jeremiahstover

Step 1 – Download latest version of WordPress MU (2.7.1)

Step 2 – install on server and verify it is working

Step 3 – Download latest version of BuddyPress (1.0.2)

Step 4 – copy to the plugins directory

Result

Error 500 on all pages

Justin Brock
    Participant

@justinbrock

Yeah, Jeremiah. That’s how it happens.

John, WordPress MU (2.7.1) is working fine. It’s when I upload BuddyPress (1.0.2) that i get the error. My admin panel, the public blog, everything becomes Error 500 in the browser once I upload the files.

I can still see everything fine in the ftp explorer [Filezilla]

Jeremiah Stover

@jeremiahstover

I tried downloading wpmu 2.7.0 and bp 1.0.1 – only the budypress activation returns error 500 in this case, the rest of the site continues to function.

Jeff Sayre
    Participant

@jeffsayre

Okay, why don’t both of you go through this list to see if there are other commonalities:

https://buddypress.org/forums/topic.php?id=2674

Please post your response to those questions here.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Who is your web host? My next guess is this is an out-of-memory situation. Others have encountered this with hosts like 1and1 and GoDaddy, and have fixed it by increasing the amount of memory available in their php.ini files.

Do a search through the forums and see if you can find anything relevant that helps out. If not report back.

Justin Brock
    Participant

@justinbrock

1. Which version of WPMU are you running? 2.7.1

2. Did you install WPMU as a directory or subdomain install? Installed it into a subdomain, but new blogs will appear as directories I think.

3. If a directory install, is it in root or in a subdirectory? It’s in the root of the subdomain.

4. Did you upgraded from a previous version of WPMU? If so, from which version? no

5. Was WPMU functioning properly before installing/upgrading BuddyPress? yes

6. Which version of BuddyPress (BP) are you running? Attempting to install 1.0.2

7. Did you upgraded from a previous version of BP? If so, from which version? no

8. Do you have any plugins other than BuddyPress installed and activated? no

9. Are you using the standard BuddyPress themes or customized themes? standard

10. Have you modified the core files in any way? no

11. Do you have any custom functions in bp-custom.php? no

12. If running bbPress, which version? none. Do I need bbPress?

13. Please provide a list of any errors in your server’s log files. not quite sure how to get to these.

My host is 1and1.

Justin Brock
    Participant

@justinbrock

http://community.redeemerjackson.com/ – here’s the site without the BuddyPress files uploaded.

Justin Brock
    Participant

@justinbrock

Also, tried uploading a php.ini file in wp-admin that contained:

memory=20MB

upload_max_filesize = 8M

Same error.

Jeff Sayre
    Participant

@jeffsayre

With what you are experiencing, I would image that there is useful information in your server’s log files. How do you locate the log files?

This is a very old article, but perhaps still applies to 1and1:

http://www.devchunks.com/1and1/1and1-hosting-server-logs/

If that does not help, contact them and ask for assistance in locating your log files.

Justin Brock
    Participant

@justinbrock

I can get to the log files. What am i looking for?

Thanks for your help, by the way.

Jeff Sayre
    Participant

@jeffsayre

You need to look at the apache_error_log. Or whatever 1and1 has decided to call the Apache log file.

You do not need to paste the entire contents of that log file in a post. Since this is a new install, what you should do is clear out the log file then recreate the issue. Then go back to the log file and see what errors are reported. List those errors, just one copy of each unique error, here.

Justin Brock
    Participant

@justinbrock

Will the line contain the word ‘error’?

Justin Brock
    Participant

@justinbrock

As far as files go, I just have access logs, mail logs and ftp logs.

Jeff Sayre
    Participant

@jeffsayre

You’ll need to contact 1and1 and have them help you out. I assume, then, that you are on a shared server?

Justin Brock
    Participant

@justinbrock

Called 1and1. We changed to php5 and now it’s working.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Damn I was in a meeting and I missed all this fury, but the PHP version was my next suggestion.

1and1 people can do this by adding this line to their .htaccess file. (This has also been covered before.)

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

Justin Brock
    Participant

@justinbrock

Perhaps that should be modified in the BuddyPress requirements. I prefer php5, but WordPress Mu suggests lower.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘500 Error after uploading BuddyPress 1.0.2’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar