BP MEDIA 0.1.9 IS READY FOR ALPHA TESTING
You can download the latest nightly build, located here:
Some of the key features include:
- Multimedia support: Local Images and Local Audio Streaming. Video Streaming planned for future versions
- Embedded Content Support: by default it has two photo embed modules (flickr, smugmug) and several video embed modules (YouTube, Vimeo, Blip.tv, qik, etv…. )
- Add files by url: if you post a URL that refers to an oEmbed enabled website the media will automatically be embedded. If the URL is a direct link to a media file, the file will be downloaded by the server and locally stored for displaying
-Media validation: support for different media type means having to recognize and validate each media file format. Unfortunately, there’s no easy way to do this in every environment. It currently uses Fileinfo extension (php >= 5.3), shell command ‘file -bi’ (only on unix, shell access needs to be permitted), or a built-in magic numbers table.
You are welcome to test this version and give your feedback, please remember to test on a fresh install.
How to give helpful feedback:
1) Focus the testing on new features: can you embed youtube video? do they have a preview image in the gallery? can you upload and listen mp3? do media title and description represent mp3 tags? if mp3 had an attached image is it used as preview image in the gallery?
2) see if something that was working in the last nightly has been broken in the code merge
3) if you find a issue/bug about something that is supposed to working (it was working before or I described it in the intro) open an issue in the issue tracker https://code.google.com/p/buddypress-media/issues/list
4) if you have some problems with content type detection (media recognition) tell every possible detail about your test enviroment. also look in ‘File Settings’>’Adding Media’>’Media validation’ and tell which detection method are grayed out and which you can select.
5) known issue: depending on the your browser some features of the audio player (i.e. volume slider) could be cut out, that will be addressed in the release version
6) known issue: some mp3s with bad headers could not be validated and are rejected, there are many mp3 tools that put random garbage in files, I’ll work on a more loose but still secure validation for mp3. Try with several mp3s and the most of them should be accepted.
7) edit – known issue: warnings on activation, will be addressed in rewriting of plugin installation/upgrade routines
Francesco & Foxly
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.