Completely Integrating a Previous bbPress Install
I had a bbPress install that was integrated with BuddyPress the old way. I wanted to switch it over to the new integrated installation but it seems that the way BuddyPress integrates an old install still uses to files of the old install. Presumably this is for people that want to maintain the functionality of a separate install and still have BuddyPress integration. However, there should be a third option to BuddyPress (besides “create new” or “integrate old”) which is to integrate the old database completely to use the integrated component while migrating over an existing database.
I’ve done the following and wanted to confirm this is the correct way to completely integrate a previously used bbPress database. Unless I missed this somewhere, it should be part of the BuddyPress setup or at least included in the doc section about the new bbPress integration.
1. After the BuddyPress upgrade I went through the documented steps to integrate with an existing install.
2. I moved the bb-config.php from the old install location that I gave BuddyPress to the root directory of the WordPress mu install.
3. I edited the wp_sitemeta table and updated the bb-config-location meta key to point to the file in the root directory of the WordPress install rather than in the old bbPress install location.
4. Backed up and deleted the previous bbPress install.
5. (Optional) Attached forum posts that were not part of a group to a new BuddyPress group so the posts were not lost.
As far as I can tell, these steps allow you to completely integrate an old bbPress install into the new BuddyPress paradigm. Can anyone confirm if I missed something here?
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.