Converting existing HTML site/domain into Buddypress: what\'s best practice/order
I am planning to turn a 10 year old but popular spaghetti-coded html/php mishmash of a site into something more, well, current and valid
- The domain is live and currently running on a simple Hostgator account (it is amazing how much traffic that can handle if you are not PHP-heavy).
- I have a Hybrid Server, which has already one other WPMU/BP community running, so I know the basics and have the resources.
- I want to build the new site -stealth- while the old one is still live and then when all seems well and ready, ‘flick the switch’.
Would this be the best practice or am I thinking wrong?:
- Install the new BP on a (temporary) domain on the new server and then populate it while being hidden to Google, regular visitors etc.
- Once everything is working, update MySql to the domain I really want to use.
- Change name servers to point to new server, change HTPPD.conf info for new (old) domain.
Am I missing something here and could you help me with the following:
- What is the best way to populate a ‘live’ (on a public server) site, view/test it online, but keep it hidden/private for non-admins (to prevent copycats, leaking, Google indexing etc)? The ‘privacy settings do no offer this choice? do I need a plugin for that?
- Which way to Chenge the Site url is working best (see http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL ), are the 2 ‘defines’ enough currently?
Many thanks for your help,
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.