Help needed – Limiting group admins and what they can see to specific groups
Currently our WP website is working as expected, we have a number of groups public, private, hidden. Only users with permission to view these groups can.
The problem comes when we want to give administrative rights to allow individuals to manage specific groups (only the ones they are members of!). Whilst the rights work as expected, they appear to loosely defined and have the consequence of allowing group admins to view activity threads on the home pages of any group, not just the ones they are members of. This is not an ideal situation as sometimes the information is from the activity stream contains sensitive/private group related info.
We have tried a number of routes to solving this issue… once such idea was using ‘User Role Editor’ or other similar plugins to create bespoke roles, but again the issue persists.
I had considered hiding the group activity using CSS and whilst this works, it is a very crude solution that is easy to work around if you know what you are doing.
Our current course of action is to limit the activity stream itself (across all groups), to only the list of group members. This will mean that when any logged in users view any group index they will, at most, see its list of members and nothing more
The filter is there already in the form of a drop down menu. What I need to do is make this the default view, make it fixed and unchangeable.
The PHP page for this activity list is pretty straight forward, and with some gumption I’ll be able to reconfigure the code… I’m not a coder by trade, but not scared either ( that’s always a little dangerous, right? )
I have two issues with this solution:
1. I don’t like customisations, the more we make the more we need to maintain and the more likely it is that an update will mess with one or more of them.
2. I would prefer this were manageable via plugin, but I can find nothing that does what we are asking.
I’d welcome your input on this, should you feel inclined!
A few provisos:
- We could remove the activity stream entirely, but we would have to replace it with something, else when a user enters a group they would be presented with an entirely blank page
- The problem is a consequence of our need to provide group administrative rights to group admins; This is essential to the long term viability of the site, from the perspective of managing workload and our users expectation.
- The ideal, which I’ve not entertained (as it does not seem possible at present) is that the activity stream is retained but correctly hidden from users who are not members of the group.
Thanks to anyone who has read this post in entirety and to anyone who can help.
Batch Create NEW: 1.3.2
bbpress Enable TinyMCE Visual Tab: 1.0.1
BuddyPress Community Stats: 0.5.1
BuddyPress Docs: 1.5.3
BuddyPress Group Email Subscription: 3.4
Buddy Press Profile Visibility: 1.0.4
Easy WP SMTP: 1.0.6
Events Manager: 5.5.2
GD bbPress Attachments: 2.0
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.