Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Top
Bottom

Issue with german umlauts with P2-theme in BuddyPress

  • Avatar of marcaurel75
    marcaurel75
    Participant

    @marcaurel75

    Hello!

    I have Buddypress 1.0.3 (German) running in WordPress MU 2.8.2 (German) and use the cool P2-Theme (Prologue, german language file), which permits frontend editing and resemblesTwitter. However I experience the problem that with the frontend editing in posts and comments existing umlauts get distorted when the editor field is loaded and opened: Ex.: ä becomes ä, ü becomes à ¼, ö becomes ö and ß becomes ß…

    This remains when the edited text ist saved again. I can however enter and store new umlauts in the editor correctly – the issue concerns in each case only the umlauts transferred from the stored text to the editor. Under WordPress 2.8.3 the P2-theme on the same server runs without any problems. Both installations run under UTF-8 encoding. I don’t know what to check or do?!? Does anyone have any idea how this could be fixed? Thanks a lot in advance!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Avatar of Paul Gibbs
    Paul Gibbs
    Keymaster

    @djpaul

    Try removing or disabling BuddyPress. Does this problem still occur on WordPress MU?

    Avatar of marcaurel75
    marcaurel75
    Participant

    @marcaurel75

    I deactivated the BP-plugin. Problem remains. So it’s probably an issue with WordPress MU and the P2-theme?!

    Avatar of marcaurel75
    marcaurel75
    Participant

    @marcaurel75

    Doing more research I found the following thread in the wp-forum:

    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/273413?replies=2:

    —-

    Mippe: P2 brokes äÄ öÖ åÅ letters when editing. That pretty much sums it all up.

    noel (Administrator): We’re aware of the issue and will fixing this in the next release.


    But I am still unsure: This problem then occurs only with WordPress MU?

    Avatar of Paul Gibbs
    Paul Gibbs
    Keymaster

    @djpaul

    You have said that the problem occurs on WPMU, and that it does not occur on regular WP. You have also said this problem is not caused by BuddyPress.

    I haven’t got an install of regular WP to test this on, so I am going to assume it is either a WPMU issue *or* you are using an old version of the P2 theme.

    Avatar of marcaurel75
    marcaurel75
    Participant

    @marcaurel75

    I’ll check it. Thanks for the support!

    Avatar of marcaurel75
    marcaurel75
    Participant

    @marcaurel75

    HELP! Since I tried to reactivate the BP plugin I receive a HTTP 500 error when I try to reach the site… mpf!

    Avatar of marcaurel75
    marcaurel75
    Participant

    @marcaurel75

    I deactivated all plugins via phpmyadmin – in the sitemeta-table as well as in the options-table of the single blogs (there are 3 in my installation right now).

    So the HTTP-500-Error disappeared. And all of a sudden the P2-theme worked properly as well.

    This means: the regular deactivation via backend of the buddypress-plugin didn#t really work. The umlaut-issue with P2-theme seems related to buddypress.

    Avatar of Paul Gibbs
    Paul Gibbs
    Keymaster

    @djpaul

    I deactivated the BP-plugin. Problem remains. So it’s probably an issue with WordPress MU and the P2-theme?!

    ?

    Avatar of marcaurel75
    marcaurel75
    Participant

    @marcaurel75

    The thing is: I only thought I had deactivated the bp-plugin completely (via backend).

    I guess it was removed from the active_sitewide_plugins-field in the sitemeta-table in the database – but it was not removed from the wpmu_sitewide_plugins-field in the same table.

    So the site still worked (no HTTP-500-error), and the umlaut-issue with the p2-theme remained.

    When I then removed the bp-plugin-entry via phpmyadmin from both fields, the “main blog” didn’t appear anymore (error 500), but the two “sub blogs” I have still functioned. And the one sub blog with the P2-theme worked then without the umlaut-issue.

    I hope this clears things up a bit.

    So for me it is pretty clear that the bp-plugin somehow interferes with the P2-editor and causes the umlaut-issue.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.