Replace BuddyPress profile with custom profile
I’m almost done with a custom implementation of WordPress 3.5.1. It’s a closed community and I have a pretty complex profile page and member directory. I can’t use BuddyPress completely because of specific requirements. For example, some profile attributes are not editable by members, but are required. These fields are populated during member signup, which is also a custom implementation of mine.
However, eventually I would like to use BuddyPress for most of it’s other community features, such as the activity stream, messaging, forums, etc.
Any ideas on how I can replace/integrate my profile implementation with BuddyPress? Here are some initial ideas:
- Override BP profile page with a child theme to use my custom php template to only display the profile not edit it. Is this possible? Then users would use my custom profile form which is in wp-admin.
- In addition to the above I could hook my profile page to save it’s data in BP’s xprofile tables instead of my custom table.
- Continue to use my custom implementation but only put the default name field in BP’s xprofile table to “connect” the two profiles together.
In addition to this, I played around with BP and my implementation and I couldn’t figure out how to filter 2 essential items: links to profile page and avatars.
- I have a filter on get_avatar to display the member’s profile headshot, but I couldn’t get BP to display it when I filtered on bp_core_fetch_avatar or bp_core_fetch_avatar_filter.
- My member profile page is at /profile/member using a custom specialized page template. Can I filter BP’s profile links to link to this instead of it’s profile page?
Thanks in advance for any input
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.