WP profile fields not editable in BP profile
Parts of the WordPress/BuddyPress profile relationship has been covered elsewhere, but I haven’t been able to find a conclusive discussion on the subject, so I’m taking the liberty of bringing it up again.
First, we have the WordPress profile with the usual such as email address, names, password, bio, along with the dashboard preferences.
Then there’s the bbPress profile with its own forum-oriented tabs, however, it still preserves access to almost all the settings in the WordPress profile, except of course for the dashboard preferences that are no longer relevant in the front-end.
Finally, there is BuddyPress, where only the account email and password are editable. Names, contact info, and the biographical info are not included. There are, however, the Extended Profile’s custom fields, but they do not substitute the above fields.
I think a few things here need clarification (I have linked to existing relevant discussions):
- What’s behind the decision to not include these settings in the BuddyPress profile?
- Why aren’t the bbPress and the BuddyPress profiles merged? #4357
- Why aren’t the BuddyPress and the WordPress profiles merged? #3335
- In addition to above, If bbPress at least to an extent is merging its profiles with the WordPress profile, why is BuddyPress not doing the same?
- Finally, can anybody explain, based on editing template files, how to add these settings, the same settings that WordPress offers at
wp-admin/profile.phpand bbPress offers in their profile, under the BuddyPress profile’s settings?
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.