Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Can I remove the “public groups” phrase on the group admin page?

• Buddypress is only accessible to members on my site and I am concerned that if I let the “Public Group” phrase stay under the group name on the group admin page that members will get confused and think buddypress is open to non-members.

Do you know which file I need to go into to remove this phrase from being seen. Please note though, don’t actually want to change the public setting just the phrase from appearing.

Thank you.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

• modemlooper

@modemlooper

bp-default/groups/single/group-header.php

remove: ``

Thank you very much for the information!

The issue I’m having now is finding that php file. I don’t see anything like groups/single in my file manager and I manually downloaded buddypress in hopes I could upload a missing file but I didn’t see anything like it there either. Just last week thought I have a record of being in groups/single/activity.php as well as groups/single/forums.php but now I can’t find those either. My buddpress site is working fine though without any problmes online. Maybe I’m just not accessing the bp-default/groups/single file correctly?

In case this is relevant info, I have used BP-compatibility so I’m not using the default theme but have BP matching the rest of the site instead.

Could you help me figure out where to go to get the php file mentioned above?

Thank you.

aces
    Participant

@aces

aces
    Participant

@aces

I wish the post edit and delete buttons would work again…

I would guess that modemlooper’s reference is to the buddypress plugin directory under `/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-themes/`

If the equivalent page under your current child theme doesn’t exist, it might be better to copy and edit the above page to your child theme’s directory

That is the path, so I’ve now found groups/single, thank you :)

…. however, I just tried deleting the code mentioned and nothing changed on the page :(

Any idea what could be going on or what to do instead?

modemlooper

@modemlooper

what is the url when you are on the page you want to remove the text? what I told you does remove the group type from a displaying in a group near where the group avatar is.

The page has a url similar to: website.com/groups/group-name. It says Group Admins on the top.
    Then there’s a larger header with the group name and right below is where it says Public Group (with the most recent activity immediately following).

I’ve tried changing things in bp-default/groups/groups-loop as well as default/groups/single/activity but nothing I delete has changed anything so I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

The page has a url similar to: website.com/groups/group-name. It says Group Admins on the top.
    Then there’s a larger header with the group name and right below is where it says Public Group (with the most recent activity immediately following).

I’ve tried changing things in bp-default/groups/groups-loop as well as default/groups/single/activity but nothing I delete has changed anything so I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

modemlooper

@modemlooper

http://pastebin.com/

paste the contents of bp-themes/bp-default/groups/single/group-header.php

You must not have removed the code.

Modemlooper,

I just posted the group-header.php to pastebin in the public comments. I tried deleting yet again but no change. Would be great to see what you think ….

Thank you.

Hi modemlooper,

Please excuse the delay from last week that was due to car problems. Could you see if the info is correct in the file to remove public groups?

Thank you

FYI, as a test I just deleted all the code in the group-header.php (it was completely blank and saved that way) and there was no change online! No matter what I do to group-header it is not reflected on the webpage. Maybe there is another file I can go to instead? Unfortunately, I am not clear which files correspond to which pages online.

modemlooper

@modemlooper

What is the link to this site?

mabjustmab
    Participant

@mabjustmab

jad117 –
    something similar happened to me. I was editing the wrong file that was supposed to be the right file.
    there are a few different ways to find other versions of the same file.

my preferred method:
    if you have your site backed up to your local machine:
    if you have Notepad++ (which is a free text editor program found here ->http://notepad-plus-plus.org/) you can use the “find in files” function. enter the phrase you are looking for (in this instance “public groups”). on the Directory section, select the wordpress folder. I tend to go to the highest directory possible so that I know for sure I’m not missing something.
    the results will show you all instances where that phrase is. you can click on the phrase and it will open the file for you!
    edit it there and then ftp/upload it to the same file path it came from (the file path is listed in the search results)

other places to look for the file you need to edit:
    if you don’t have your site backed up on your local server
    sometimes, the files are not on the Appearance tab. sometimes, they are in the plugins folder. (that was the case for one of the profile files I wanted to edit)
    yoursite.comwp-contentpluginsbuddypressbp-themesbp-default
    go to the plugins page
    select buddypress from the drop down menu
    edit the file there

hopefully, one of these two suggestion will help.
    good luck.

Thank you for the response, this was helpful in better understanding what the problem could be. I looked through the plugin folder but can’t see any other hidden .php files that may be responsible for the problem. Also, I didn’t pursue the notepad route because I already have been told which specific .php page to go to that should let the change occur, so it seems it’s not that I’m in the wrong place but that it just isn’t working as it should.

This has now been resolved! I didn’t realize that I shouldn’t be in bp-default since I have a custom template.
    Sorry for the confusion and thank you for all the help regarding this!

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Can I remove the “public groups” phrase on the group admin page?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar