Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Multiple Profile Group Fields in Registration

• sweller
    Participant

@sweller

Is there a good way to display more than one xprofile group in user registration? I like the way groups are divided in the profile section, but the new group is critical to a user’s account and therefore needs to be available on registration.

The topic was briefly discussed here and Brajesh Singh recommended opening bp_has_profile( ) to all fields, and then aggregating all of the values in a comma separated list in the “signup_profile_field_ids” hidden field. I’ve tried variations of this and nothing is working.

So the question: Is this the best way to do it, and if so, how do you create a correct comma separated list for a value?

Also, is there a way to change the “Profile” slug? Define( ‘BP_XPROFILE_SLUG’ , ‘…’ ) throws off an error.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Fabiano Arruda
    Participant

@fabianoarruda

I have the same question :)

I have the same question as well. I have created a couple more field groups in Buddypress profile fields section on the dash. Alas, none but the base group shows up in registration. Any help on how to get around this would be fantastic!

Anyone managed to come up with a solution to this?
    It’s a bit lack of logic to allow fields to be set as required in the backend but never show them to the user when registering … what kind of required fields are they than?

Thank you!

hmm … I am afraid that plugin does smth. else, namely automatically registering a new user to a group, but what we meant here were the registration fields from xprofile.

Actually, I figured out a way to have them displayed, although there’s a lot of css fun you’ll have afterwords :-)

In register.php you should look for this

and replace with this

This will display all the fields, but you’ll still miss the Title of each group.

To get that displayed, you can do this:

Look for

and just above it place this: `

`

That should do the trick.

It’s a dirty hack from a no-programmer, so please do not criticize. As anyone can notice, no programmer / developer ever cared to offer any help with this.
    Actually very annoying that no one frm the development team ever thought about it, leave alone giving a hand here …

Hope you’ll find the trick useful though

the above still sucks of course (or rather the whole registration process for buddypress sucks!), anyway, the above code will unfortunatelly NOT validate the fields! So it would be possible for a user to register without filling those fields in …

Yeah, you tell me how happy I was as I realized that!
    1 more day lost with this s*, but eventually found a workaround (I am sure it’s not the perfect solution, but at least it’s SOMETHING!)

So in order to have the required fields really checked, please add this to your header:

`

$(document).ready(function() {
    $(“#signup_form”).validate();
    });

`
    where signup_form is the id of your form (

). If your form has an other id please remember to change accordingly.

Now go to each form field in your form and add this class:

` class=”” `

example:
    ` <input type="text" name="” id=”” value=”” class=””/> `

And VERY important, around line 150, see that you have added this piece of code (basically replacing / expanding that `<input type="hidden" name="signup_profile_field_ids" id="signup_profile_field_ids" value="” />`)

`

<input type="hidden" name="signup_profile_field_ids" id="signup_profile_field_ids" value="” />`

So that was it, now it should work. Unlike the buddypress gurus out there, I didn’t want to leave any of you in “half darkness”, so I came back to post the solution I found.

I hope it will help you, even though it’s just a workaround, and I am 100% sure there must be a much more elegant solution than this.

But as I said, as the buddypress gurus could not care less about poor users who struggle to get that bpress working as it should, a “second best” solution is always better than NO solution!

latinosamorir
    Participant

@latinosamorir

@candy2012.

Thanks!!!

I have not tried this yet but soon will. I’ve been waiting for a year for this solution. I wonder why the BP gurus dropped the ball on this.

works well for me :-)
    I would have loved to have a splitted registration form though (like fields from group1 on the 1st page, fields from group 2 & 3 on the following form registration page, etc), to prevent scare away users if you happen to have more fields you want them 2 fill in …

but I must be honest, I have NO clue as of how to achieve that ..

If you happen to find a solution, I’d appreciate if you’d post it back here :-)

C.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Multiple Profile Group Fields in Registration’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar