Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

BuddyPress Group Tags is now available

• Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

checkout my new plugin here: wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-group-tags/

I’ve recently upgraded it so that it plays nicely with ajax in BuddyPress. It also has an improved tag adding interface. If you download and try it out, please rate it. and provide feedback.

thanks,

Deryk

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 60 total)

• @mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

This is just way too cool. Two plugins in one afternoon? Priceless. Thank you.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

Yes, I agree two plugins in one day is too cool for school!

Thanks Dwenaus!

schwooba
    Participant

@schwooba

Works fine for me. Thanks for the hard work.

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

glad you guys like them :)

Mike Pratt
    Participant

@mikepratt

@Dwenaus I was thinking of a Group Categorization plugin to allow me to sgment the directory and showcase groups better but this might very well fit the bill. Are group tags exposed via functions inyour plugin so we can shape a directory listing (or even avail in a variable eg bp_get_group_tag() ?

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

@mikepratt – I’m using the group tags for basically the same reason – to categorize groups. In my project, i will be pulling out certain tags and listing them in a page along side the ‘My Groups’ tab. Let me know more about what you implement for the directory listing.

One future thing I’d like to do is create a group tags widget. however I first need to figure out how to get the slug /groups/tag/myslug to redirect properly to my code. I might make another attempt next week. Any ideas or code help would be much appreciated.

yes, all the functions are exposed and should be pretty obvious by their name and brief comment about usage.

designodyssey
    Participant

@designodyssey

@dwenaus,

Thanks. As you know, I’ve been waiting for this. Let us know when you get the slug and/or ajax stuff figured out. I only have a few categories of groups and I’m going to try to let users use this functionality to choose their category on group creation.

Would love to see an online implementation of this if anybody has got the plugin working somewhere.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

@designodyssey, it’s pretty much the way you see it in screenshots https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-group-tags/screenshots/ and when you click on the tag, the page will show groups that are tagged e.g. “plugin”

Results for tag: plugin
    Viewing group 1 to 1 (of 1 groups)

Group avatar
    Wiki Group
    active 6 days, 11 hours ago

Michael Berra
    Participant

@miguael

Here you can see it: http://www.young-people.ch/groups

I like it very much!

foxly
    Participant

@foxly

I just wanted to say thanks for the awesome plugin!

designodyssey
    Participant

@designodyssey

OK, those screenshots must be new. Thanks for the demo Michael. Now to hook this to the ajax for groups and list them separately by type. The hard work has been done.

Thanks again.

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

hey, @designodyssey the ajax is not implemented properly, and plays well. I made that change in version 1.0 of the plugin. no ajax issues like before. Sure there are more features that could be added, such as a group tags widget, but the core works great.

pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

@Dwenaus

Slight problem here: when on the blog creation page (Create a Blog from Blog Directory), group tags appear at the top of the page content. Oops!

Any way to remove / hide this?

I’m running WPMU2.9.1 and BP1.2.1 with default theme.

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

I’ll fix this soon. it is easy to fix. thanks fror the notice.

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

@pcwriter – I don’t see an add blog link in the front end of buddypress, can you show me how to replicate the problem? are you using another plugin to do this? is it an admin setting that enables that?

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@dwenaus:

Go to example.com/blogs when you’re logged in.

You should see the “Create a Blog” button next to the h3.

This is only if you have blog registration open on WPMU of course!

pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

@dwenaus

I don’t know if this is also a consequence of the group tags, but my blog directory also shows all blogs as being active 11 hours 58 minutes ago. This is false as only one has been recently active. Any thoughts?

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

Yes, I see the problem now. I’ll address it right away…

It seems like that is a bug in buddypress. /bp-themes/bp-default/blogs/create.php the do_action at the top should not be bp_before_directory_groups_content it should rather be bp_before_directory_blog_content like it is in the other blog pages such as index.php.

I’ve made a trac request to change this.

nice to know its not my plugin.

I would just edit that file, as it will probably be fixed in the next minor upgrade.

pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

Good catch, that worked! File edited.

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

here is the request in trac. https://trac.buddypress.org/ticket/2127

I even learned how to make diffs!

pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

Thanks for pointing to the ticket. I had only edited line 3 in create.php. Now they’re both done right!

pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

@Dewenaus

Just thought of something for your next update (hint…). To keep things consistent in BP directories, rather than displaying group tags at the top, would it be possible to list them below the login in the sidebar like the forum topic tags? Just an idea for user-friendliness.

Next idea… blog tags? Hmm…

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

Hey everyone, I’ve added a widget capability to this plugin. Enjoy :)

@pcwriter
    @r-a-y @designodyssey

Bowe
    Participant

@bowromir

Ah great Dwenaus! Have you been able to look at the link structure? So that you can filter groups by URL? For example https://buddypress.org/groups=plugins.

This is a great plugin :)

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

@Bowe I think the plugin does what you want. When you install the Group Tags widget the link is via url:

mydomain.com/groups/tag/mytag

going to that url, will show the groups for the tag ‘mytag’

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 60 total)
  • The topic ‘BuddyPress Group Tags is now available’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar