Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

2015 BuddyPress Survey: Results

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• xellmans
    Participant

@xellmans

thanks for that!

enest
    Participant

@enest

@ thanks @

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

You’re welcome 🙂

darrenmeehan
    Participant

@darrenmeehan

Thanks! Very interesting read with useful information.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Thanks @darrenmeehan 🙂

Michael Bryner
    Participant

@utahman1971

Thanks, but I missed the survey because I did not even know there was one. I need to give feedback that the styling on this should be not our responsibility. I mean a lot of people don’t know coding and don’t want to play with code for hours or days to get it to look nice. The style of buddypress is still old and there are paid alternatives that look nicer. Like I said they are paid options. Buddypress is free but sorry to say is ugly with awesome features.

I think buddypress should have a nice built in style and I bet you would have a lot of people using buddypress more. Ultimate Member and Peepso kind of styling for buddypress. Not like anyone cares about this. I thought I would say something about it. If this shouldn’t be here sorry again but I am continuing to use buddpress. I just think part of the no new members joining is the styling. I am not made out of money to pay someone to customize develop a styling for buddypress either.

Hi Michael

You’re wrong — we do care about feedback, so thank you for sharing yours. You’re totally correct that there’s several plugins in town that offer features of part of BuddyPress (or in Peepso’s case, all of it), and that the biggest distinguishing feature that they have seems to be the visual appearance. It is important, and as a contributor to BuddyPress, I personally always focus on making the BuddyPress experience better for these types of new users (not just for developers, etc), so what you say makes a lot of sense.

We took a decision perhaps two years ago to make sure BuddyPress worked on every theme. To achieve this, we decided on an approach where we made the look/feel as minimal and generic as possible. The compromise means that right now, BuddyPress doesn’t offer a really strong visual appeal. What we’ll do in the future, I’m not sure yet, but we have had more discussions about the next approach to a new set of BuddyPress template in the last 6 months than we’ve had in the years prior to it, which I take as positive.

It feels like a long time away saying hopefully we’ll look much better in the six months, but there’s so many cool features and enhancements to work on, and it’s a matter of each individual contributor being able to contribute their time on working on whatever they personally want to do.

Part of the solution for BuddyPress is to find some great WordPress theme developers who are interested in helping out with that part of BuddyPress; someone could come in and really define the look of BuddyPress for 2016. If anyone out there reading this is interested, but isn’t sure how to get started, just send me a message (paul at buddypress.org).

Paul Bursnall
    Participant

@style960

Hi Paul,

The detailed response is appreciated, it feels rare the community is given any real insight into why choices are made / features prioritised. I would add though – while both Ultimate Member and Peepso are quite clearly nicer to look at than Buddypress, they both do have a core feature that BP has never embraced – profile privacy. And I mean true privacy options so a member can reveal as little or as much of themselves as they wish – I realise masking your profile seems to go against the grain of a social network, but it should still be the users choice. In BP, that choice isn’t there. XProfile fields can be masked. Handy if you have any setup. And with the use of a plugin a user can decide who can see their updates, but I would guess for most the privacy level of each update they write will normally be the same – not something they want to amend before or after they’ve added an update.

With social activity now added to UM I’ve been able to create something I’d spent months trying to bend into shape with BP, in a fraction of the time with UM. Literally a matter days, not months.

I wouldn’t argue that BP profiles need enhancing visually, they clearly do. But there are a handful of themes out there that will not only make it look better, but are great themes in themselves (none of the BP themes on the Forest).

Profile privacy is the obvious element missing from BP for me, and as long as it’s not in the core, or the BuddyBoss guys don’t produce a plugin, I personally wouldn’t build anything on BP. Conversely, if it was in there, I’d have something live well before now. I hope it gets addressed properly in the not too distant future. Thanks, Paul.

Michael Bryner
    Participant

@utahman1971

Well, thanks Paul for the response. I am using as of for a while Newsmag theme by Tagdiv from forest and they are not going to style BP just leave it basic and that is one reason I said what I did. I have not big income to just pay for another theme and get better styling from BP that way. Another reason I said what I did.

I have looked all over the internet trying to find an easy way to get some kind of style like Ultimate Member and Peepso without success. So that means I am stuck with the basic styling and I also think its part of the reason no one is signing up to the site. Not all BP fault, just the styling. It has awesome features for free.

I love the fact it has built in PM and Groups and Activity and the Profiles all front end. The only lacking part to me is the look. I know you agree with me but talk is cheap. I would praise this plugin a lot more if the styling was built in. I bet you would have a lot of sites installing it more too than it is now.

6 months for me is a good looking forward to kind of wait but if it never comes, then I would be kind of disappointed. I can’t afford to pay the prices for the extensions on Ultimate Member and Peepso and those developers are depending on those charges to live off of. I wish I had a good income but I don’t.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘2015 BuddyPress Survey: Results’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar