Hey Team BuddyPress, I have the beginnings of an idea, and I think WordPress Multisite/BuddyPress is the solution, but can’t quite nail it down, due to lack of experience. I have a good deal of WP experience, but none with WPMU or BP, so I’m hoping the BP crowd can help make it click (my apologies in advance for long-windedness).
The high level idea is to have 1 main site (hypothetically named InvestingHub.com to protect the innocent) and surround it with niche sites (RealEstateInvesting.com, StockMarketInvesting.com, etc.). In the interest of the 24 hours a day rule, I need something scalable. I’m hopeful that WPMU is the answer to that prayer: 1 WP admin to rule them all. Up to this point, I’ve only talked WP, but please weigh in if you see any red flags waving. Is it possible to extend wpmu to standalone domains instead of subdomains?
BuddyPress will go on InvestingHub.com, but there needs to be BP functionality on the niche sites as well. As with above, it would be nice to have the single install reside on the mothership site. Is that possible? BPMU, perhaps?
It would be ideal if the niche site’s BP was aware of the main BP and vice versa. For example, Larry happens upon RealEstateInvesting.com through organic Google search. After signing up and bumming around for a bit, he/she sees the activity stream for InvestingHub.com, which alerts them to the the existence of StockMarketInvesting.com. Turns out Larry is interested in as well and finds his way over to StockMarketInvesting.com. He bums around for a bit and decides he wants to become a member of this community as well.
In case you got lost in my ramblings, here are all of my questions, simplified:
1. Is it possible to extend wpmu to standalone domains instead of subdomains?
2. Is it possible to have a single install of BuddyPress, but have separate networks across a WPMU?
3. Is it possible to display certain data from the BP root on the niche sites and vice versa?
4. If a person is a member of niche site A, does he have to go through the registration process all over again to become a member of niche site B?
Thanks in advance for your time and responses that will surely lead me out of this dark place I’m in!
- The topic ‘Architecture Advice’ is closed to new replies.