Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Function/Call to access Custom Profile Fields?

• shedmore
    Participant

@shedmore

Okay, I have been browsing the site up and down…and I feel like I am missing something obvious…sorry if it has already been answered, but I couldnt find it.

What is the best approach (is there a function or api) to access custom fields within a plugin I want to create….or do I have to do it through sql directly.

Lets say I setup a plugin that wants to evaluate whether to do something based on the age of a member. The age is a custom text field I created in the profile field setup in the buddypress admin….

How can I actually get & set THAT custom xprofile data for use in the plugin?

If this sets the display_name

xprofile_set_field_data( BP_XPROFILE_FULLNAME_FIELD_NAME, $usermeta[‘display_name’], $user_id );

Then is there something that is similar to set data to a “custom” field like my age example…and vice versa, whats the best way to “get” the data too

I hope my question is clear, but if it isnt please let me know

Thanks!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• shedmore
    Participant

@shedmore

Anybody???

I could really use the help please!

xprofile_get_field_data( $field_name_or_id, $user_id );

shedmore
    Participant

@shedmore

Thanks Andy, I appreciate it. I can see it now…I will dig through the bp-xprofile.php to figure out the other functions.

Thanks for the great work!

shedmore
    Participant

@shedmore

Andy let me ask you….I am playing with the bp-facebook plugin you ported, and specifically trying to add a value to the insert function you have in there now

function bp_fbconnect_insert_data( $user_id, $usermeta )

///////I tried setting an extra value inside that function – statically for now (just for testing) right under the default “full name” insert you have in there now.

I set it up like this:

xprofile_set_field_data(‘Age’, $user_id, ‘Test’);

I have tried setting with double quotes, no quotes, and several different ways, but it never seems to insert into the “Age” field I created in Buddypress.

Any ideas whats going wrong here? I am wondering if this function isnt firing at the right time? OR maybe I am making a stupid mistake :)

Thoughts? Thanks

shedmore
    Participant

@shedmore

Okay….Andy is probably busy, I didnt mean to explicitly ask Andy (only) :)…if anyone has any advice on this I would appreciate it!

Damon Cook
    Participant

@damoncook

I’m attempting to do something kinda similar. I just want to create a block (pardon my Drupal lingo) that shows a blog’s author information in my theme. I want to specifically show their BP custom fields.

Right now I’ve copied over bp-sn-parent/profile/profile-loop.php to my theme and called: locate_template( array( 'profile/profile-loop.php' ), true ) but this gives me everything in the user’s profile. I would like to get a little more granular and just specify certain fields. hmmm

Here is my current example as it exists.

shedmore
    Participant

@shedmore

For some reason…no matter what I try, I can’t inject SPECIFIC variables via the xprofile_set_field_data function….I run this function (below)

ONLY AFTER running two conditionals to make sure

/////////

ONE the buddypress globals are set

and

TWO the check for the xprofile function passes

Both conditionals pass (as expected) then go to my test function below

////////

End result — The echo statement appears correctly…but nothing is appearing in the field values for the user – I am pulling my hair out??????

Sample

////////

function BP_Insert_Test($wpuid, $age) {

$age = ’22’; // Should appear in the profile

echo(‘user id is ‘ . $wpuid . ‘ and userdata is ‘ . $age);

xprofile_set_field_data(2, $wpuid, $age);

}

Any ideas?

shedmore
    Participant

@shedmore

Okay…I have more details from my testing. It works now, but I am not really sure WHY. It seems to me that you have to (for some reason) call the get_field_data function (even if its on a useless peice of data) before you can use the set_field_data function.

If you notice from my post above…the only thing that is different is that I have added a new variable that is simply capturing the Name field (number 1). Well when I add this:

$nametestfield = xprofile_get_field_data(1,$wpuid);

And then the set_field after it (with my age variable)…than it starts working, and the field is inputted.

SO….Is there a reason why you can’t call the set_field independently. Calling in the name is basicaly useless in the function above, but it DOES make the whole thing work for some reason.

///////////////////////////////

function BP_Insert_Test($wpuid, $age) {

$age = ‘tester gender’;

$nametestfield = xprofile_get_field_data(1,$wpuid);

echo(‘user name exists already’ . $wpuid . ‘ and userdata is ‘ . $age);

echo(‘Need Field is’ . $nametestfield);

xprofile_set_field_data(2, $wpuid, $age);

}

shedmore
    Participant

@shedmore

Anybody have ideas on the post/question above????

I’m also facing same issue.. even I added manually insert query inside code like this (I have stored the values in session)

$sql=”INSERT INTO wp_bp_xprofile_data (field_id, user_id, value) VALUES(1,$curr_id, ‘”.$_SESSION.”‘)”;
    result=mysql_query($sql)or die(mysql_error());

This is storing the data in database but not retrieving :(
    @shedmore did u got this fixed up ???

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Function/Call to access Custom Profile Fields?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar