Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

New Plugin: Friends-Only Activity Stream

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)

• Peter Anselmo
    Participant

@peteranselmo

Awesome! Sounds super useful.

rich! @ etiviti
    Participant

@nuprn1

haha, thanks :-P

Sarah Gooding

@pollyplummer

It works with WP single user for me… What errors are you getting?

rich! @ etiviti
    Participant

@nuprn1

if sarah used my code without major changes – it works on single (what i use) but the admin will see all activity

modemlooper

@modemlooper

No error it just shows all activity still.

Maybe it shows all the activity before you activate and then non after but I’m seeing it all. Also the all members button needs to go. Really doesn’t make sense to have it filter out all activity and then the tab still says all members.

rich! @ etiviti
    Participant

@nuprn1

logged in as siteadmin (all), public group activity, and nonfriend atme @mentions will be displayed.

Sarah Gooding

@pollyplummer

That’s what it’s supposed to do.

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

Is there a way to set the default to show all activity when not logged in?

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Glancing at the code and I’m noticing that site admins will see everything. If the filter’s not working for you, make sure you’re logged in as a non-admin.

Sarah Gooding

@pollyplummer

@gregfielding Yes, you can do that. I’m not sure if this is the best way (definitely open to more input!) but where you see this:

function my_is_friend_check( $friend_id = false) {
    global $bp;

if ( is_site_admin() )
    return true;

if ( !is_user_logged_in() )
    return false;

Change that last part to:

if ( !is_user_logged_in() )
    return true;

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

Cool…I’m thinking that it’s still best for fresh visitors to see all activity, not just admin activity…i don’t want it to look like there is only one member!

Thanks Sarah!

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

Maybe make this an option in the next version :)

Thanks again Sarah

modemlooper

@modemlooper

Yeah I thought it was weird to log out and only see stuff from an admin. If somebody went to your site and thats all the saw it would be a turn off.

Mike Pratt
    Participant

@mikepratt

I must be missing something. Please clarify: There already is a tab (right next to ‘All Members’) that filters just friend’s activity. So why the need for a plugin to do the same thing? Sorry for misunderstanding.

Sandeep Ramamoorthy
    Participant

@sandeepdude

This restricts the display of Recent site wide Post widget…

May I know how to allow the display of recent sitewide post widget to logged out users?

Mike Pratt
    Participant

@mikepratt

@sandeepdude According to the desc ,it restricts the display of the Activity stream, which is already filtered on friends if you choose. Still trying to figure out what/why the need

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

Mike,

Yeah…after playing around with this, it doesn’t do what i was hoping. It would be handy to have a plugin that simply auto-selects the “my friends” tab when a user logs is…but where they could still click on the “all members” tab to see everything.

But this plugin effectively turn makes the “my friends” and “all members” tabs show the same info.

That’s my feedback anyway…

So if a non-friend sends an @mention to a user it will never make it to that user or trigger a notification using this plugin, or is it simply going to just affect the site activity and only show friends activity?

thelandman
    Participant

@thelandman

how about FOLLOWERS-Only Activity Stream?

I noticed that this thread has been done for a long time and wonder if anyone would assist me. I would like to know if there is a possibility on creating 2 streams within the site. One to show site wide activity stream and another to show friends only. Looking forward to assistance if possible.

yeah, support is sometimes a real issue … anyways, this plugin does not seem to be available anymore – points to a sort of talk talk talk no download page …

Anyone found a solution how to only display friends activiy stream and not the site-wide activity??!

Is a very important issue in Facebook times, besides displaying the site-wide activity makes it illogical for people to want to add friends at all … why would they !?!?

felipeolcav
    Participant

@felipeolcav

Hey Guys,

why not hide the “all members” tab using css?

Regards,

Felipe

mattriggins
    Participant

@mattriggins

Boy that would be nice to have the activity stream only show friends + yourself. :) Someone just commented on a video I posted (Which I can’t see since my stream only shows friends heh) and I got an email about it. Clicked the email to see the comment and it shows it under the Members tab. Look forward to this being a feature one day. :)

EthanVan
    Spectator

@ethanvan

I second that emotion @mattriggins. That’s how Facebook operates, one stream with you and your friends, one stream with just you (profile view). I still don’t get why they didn’t build BuddyPress that way in the first place.

I’m working on a plugin that does exactly what Facebook does but unfortunately it’s proprietary to the project I’m working on and our dev team doesn’t want to share. ):

Hint hint BP plugin dev community… Deliver one of these as described and you’ll probably make bucks selling it.

Inactive

I already have a plugin my friend and it is free.
    https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-friendpress/
    I can customize it to your liking for some beer money lol!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • The topic ‘New Plugin: Friends-Only Activity Stream’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar