Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

EMERGENCY!!! – new avatar images

• scott@floridabass.net

@scottfloridabassnet

EMERGENCY!!!

All of a sudden… Any new uploaded avatar images won’t display and just just shows the words… “profile picture for username”. I just started running an ad for the site 30 min ago and I can’t stand the thought of people seeing that in place of an avatar. All existing images are fine… this problem is only with new uploads. Any thoughts as to what might cause this issue?

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

• scott@floridabass.net

@scottfloridabassnet

It also is a problem with group avatars as well… All the image area contains is the text “group logo of (groupname)”

scott@floridabass.net

@scottfloridabassnet

Good thing this isn’t an…

EMERGENCY!!!

scott@floridabass.net

@scottfloridabassnet

The avatars are uploaded and thumbnailed and in the wp-content/uploads folder but do not display. Anybody???

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

The people who answer questions in this forum are volunteers. Please be patient.

Did some aspect of your configuration change? What other plugins are you using? Have you verified that the new avatars are actually being uploaded to wp-content/uploads/avatars/? What happens when you try to visit the URL of one of the images directly?

scott@floridabass.net

@scottfloridabassnet

Well… the images are in the wp-content/uploads/avatars/19/ (“19” for example) but the don’t come up if i enter the url… http://www.mydomain.com/wp-content/uploads/avatars/19/image.jpg – I figured that was because of some permission thing… But they are confirmed there via ftp. They also appear to be cropped . The problem is that the image won’t show and the text that replaces it runs past the and outside the image borders (looks bad). I get a green “Your new avatar was uploaded successfully!” message… no image.

I did install a facebook widget earlier but I can’t say if thats the cause of this or not. The widget was called… Like Box Widget for Facebook – (I have since deactivated it!) I created 2 new groups yesterday and there was no problem uploading/cropping the group avatars…(no new group avatars either). But, every avatar thats been uploaded prior to today is still there and works fine… thank god. Just can’t figure out why no new avatars work???

I am a total wp and bp novice, and don’t have a clue where to begin to fix this.

scott@floridabass.net

@scottfloridabassnet

Here is a profile page that is messed up…
    http://point2angler.com/members/smokinblue022/

Here one… not messed up…
    http://point2angler.com/members/teammeco/

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

It sounds like it might be a permissions issue.

Just to be clear: When I try to view http://point2angler.com/wp-content/uploads/avatars/19/c70472e199daa3d2a55276a8eedea0b5-bpfull.jpg in a browser, I get a 404. But you can see that file via FTP, right? (You said ‘image.jpg’ above – not sure if you’re using that as shorthard for the hashed image name, or if you literally mean that there’s a file called ‘image.jpg’)

If this file is indeed there, see if your FTP client has a way to look at permissions. Report back with what you find. If it turns out to be a permissions problem, then it’s beyond the scope of WP/BP, and you’ll have to take it up with your host.

scott@floridabass.net

@scottfloridabassnet

yeah… i just used the name image.jpg as an example. I just looked a permissions, There are 3 groups…

Owner
    Group
    All Users

the only thing thats checked is Owner read and write, none of the others are checked.

I just checked the read boxes for “group” and “all users” and now it works… THANK YOU! Now i wonder why it’s not setting those permissions automatically?

modemlooper

@modemlooper

Did you use a one click installer to set up your WordPress?

scott@floridabass.net

@scottfloridabassnet

Yep… Godaddy. I’m a noob!

modemlooper

@modemlooper

I guessed it. You may encounter many problems from those one click installers.

scott@floridabass.net

@scottfloridabassnet

So far I’m lucky… This thing just started out of the blue. I think it was caused by the facebook plugin, never was a problem before that anyway???

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Yeah, the permissions can be pretty weird on these kinds of setups.

FWIW you should probably not have Write permissions for “all users”. Set it to read-write for owner and group, read-only for all users.

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Also, you might want to consider contacting Godaddy and explaining the problems (that newly updated avatars in /wp-content/uploads/avatars are getting the wrong permissions). It might be something they can help with.

scott@floridabass.net

@scottfloridabassnet

OK… I’ll give them a shout. Do these kinda things just happen or could it have been the plugin? Do you think it’s server or databade related?

scott@floridabass.net

@scottfloridabassnet

OK… so here was the fix. Godaddy has something called php5.2Fastcgi that needed to be changed to just plain php5.2 file extensions. This change was made in their hosting control center “File Extensions Management” Everything works great again. Thanks to Boone Gorges for your help :-)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Emergencies involve blood. This was not an emergency.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘EMERGENCY!!! – new avatar images’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar