Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Issues with adding a new profile field group!

• absticles
    Participant

@absticles

Hey there.

I have a problem with creating field groups. When I had WP set up locally I had added a new profile field group and field within that group. When I imported the database (DB) to the remote server it seemed to show up in the wp-admin section but when I opened up the mysite.com/register page the new field group or field with in it didn’t show? I deleted the group & field in wp-admin and tried to start again but it still didn’t show up on the register page even with different names & content etc. I’ve looked through phpmyadmin and can’t see the field in there so it’s obviously been deleted properly. I have a feeling I may have done something wrong when exporting/importing the DB?

However, when I try and add a new field in the base group it shows up fine on the register page….

Has anyone had this problem//can anyone help?

Thanks.
    Abi

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• absticles
    Participant

@absticles

Can anyone help with this? Thanks. Abi

Abi bumping after 45 odd minutes is a bit soon really.

With this new group is there only the one single field?

The same thing happens with me and I suspect that when I check I’ll find that the register page is set to only display the ‘base’ group on signup.

I would suggest that this is a ‘good thing’ users tend to get very easily put off by overcomplicated long winded signup procedures; it’s best to try and make signup as simple and as quick as possible and direct users – once joined – to carry on and complete their profile details in full.

The registration page is set up thusly:

if ( bp_has_profile( 'profile_group_id=1' ):

profile_group_id=1 being the primary or base group

absticles
    Participant

@absticles

Actually I posted this yesterday!

I’ll have a think as to how I could set it up with just the base group. It’s just weird that it works locally and not on the remote server!

Thanks,
    Abi

Actually I posted this yesterday!

oops my apologies then, misread the timestamp.

The result should be the same from local to production so not sure why not. Have you compared files – look for the line I mentioned.

absticles
    Participant

@absticles

I’ve found that line, do I just add the ID of the new profile group?

Thanks for your help,
    Abi

Not sure it will be that simple you may have to loop out the whole section in other words replicate the code that the line refers to but changing the id for the newly copied code so you then had all groups being displayed.

To be honest unless there is real compelling reason for a new group of fields I would simply add the new field to the ‘Base’ group. If it’s important for registration I think it’s better added to the base group and set to ‘required’.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Issues with adding a new profile field group!’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar