Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

1.5 Language, Child Theme and Multisite

nm
    Participant

@nahummadrid

I just noticed that the language customizations are not working after upgrading to 1.5. As far as I remember everything was working before.

I’ve tried everything again as stated here http://codex.buddypress.org/extending-buddypress/customizing-labels-messages-and-urls/ — but no luck, I’ve tried putting the .mo files in /wp-content/languages, i tried keeping it in the bp plugin /lang and even inside the child theme /lang dir’s…each time pointing the following snippet to the right dir…still with no luck of the translations working.

`// change “en_US” to your locale
    define( ‘BPLANG’, ‘en_US’ );
    if ( file_exists( WP_LANG_DIR . ‘/buddypress-’ . BPLANG . ‘.mo’ ) ) {
    load_textdomain( ‘buddypress’, WP_LANG_DIR . ‘/buddypress-’ . BPLANG . ‘.mo’ );
    }
    `

here’s the name of the .mo file as I have it in the /wp-content/languages

buddypress-en_US.mo

I’m stumped. What’s odd, is that I was having the same trouble on a singular wordpress installation and i ended up getting it working by putting .mo files in the child theme dir and placing the following in the functions.php

`
    define( ‘BPLANG’, ‘lang_EN’ );
    if ( file_exists( STYLESHEETPATH . ‘/buddypress.mo’ ) ) {
    load_textdomain( ‘buddypress’, STYLESHEETPATH . ‘/buddypress.mo’ );

}
    `

Any ideas.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    nm
    Participant

@nahummadrid

I’m now seeing that it’s only some translations that don’t take….for example.

%s became a registered member
    Posted an update

In poedit, i don’t know if this matters, but on the text that doesn’t work I get back an error under Show References where the text that does work shows where the text is referenced — so that’s that.

btw i’m using a child theme with bp template pack

Hmm. Are you 100% sure the original .pot was up to date? Have you tested?

Are you generating these locally or on Automattic’s glotpress website? (can’t remember URL right now)

lexpression

@lexpression

I am not able to implement this either using directions from the same link above. I followed directions exactly, but no labels change. I used the following command using ssh to generate the .mo file: msgfmt -o [filename].mo [filename].po

File name gets generated, but again, no labels change. Am I supposed to be ‘refreshing’ something? Thanks for the help.

nm
    Participant

@nahummadrid

@djpaul yea I’m pretty sure, since at first I did realize it was still the old language file from pre-1.5, so I downloaded the new .pot and worked with it.

Since I was workign with a custom theme, I’ve even tried it with a child theme of Bp-default and still the same problem.

And you’ve got the WP_LANG set correctly, and are also loading a translation for WordPress itself? Is that code snippet in your first post how you’re actually trying this? Which file did you add that to? I don’t think that should be necessary :)

nm
    Participant

@nahummadrid

“you have WP_LANG set correctly…” — I don’t know to be honest…i’ve only ever need to translate bp…

define( ‘WPLANG’, ” ); — I saw this was already set in my config file. So I’ve even tried just using it by telling it this: define(‘WPLANG’, ‘en_US’);

Yes that’s the snippet from the tuutorial, which by the way, step 3 can be a little confusing the way it’s worded, “skip this not that” hence me using the snippet to try to make it work. but I’ve even tried without the snippet…still.

kenrichman
    Participant

@kenrichman

Did you get this working? I have the exact same issue.
    BP 1.5, and a child theme using BP template pack.
    I have successfully used a language file on another site (BP 1.2.8) so I thought I understood the process.
    Has something changed in the way language files are handled in 1.5?

cparkinson

@cparkinson

I just noticed a similar problem: buddypress and child theme (no multisite), and when I upgraded to 1.5 my language customizations in bp-languages/buddypress-my_site.po stopped displaying.

I had define( ‘BPLANG’, ‘my_site’ ); set in plugins/bp-custom.php, but I found I also had to set
    define(‘WPLANG’, ‘my_site’); in the wp-config.php file

In buddypress 1.2.8 just setting the language in bp-custom.php had been sufficient. Hope this helps someone else with the same problem.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.