Localization problems in 1.0b1 and 1.0b2
A few random notes for now. I’ll add others as I proceed. Having reviewed the BuddyPress files in mu-plugins root for 1.0b1 and 1.0b2, I find a lot of the following:
Presentation of date and time differs from culture to culture. Its better to mark these as translatable strings than to hard code in a western standard.
My understanding is that when a text domain is used to denote a language file other than the main WordPress MU language file, it needs to be added to every marked string, not just the first marked string in a line.
I’ve found a couple of instances like this from line 63 of bp-blogs/bp-blogs-ajax.php:
_e( sprintf( 'Latest Post: %s', '<a>blog_id ) . '">' . apply_filters( 'the_title', $post->post_title ) . '</a>' ), 'buddypress' );
That won’t be recognized. This will:
sprintf( __('Latest Post: %s', 'buddypress'), '<a>blog_id ) . '">' . apply_filters( 'the_title', $post->post_title ) . '</a>' );
I also find a lot of instances of sentence fragments interspersed between segments of code. Syntax varies significantly between languages; sentence fragments are often untranslatable – without going in and tweaking the code.
Here’s what I have so far, line numbers only I’m afraid. I expect I’ve missed a lot even in these few files. Line numbers are from 1.0b2
bp_core.php: 785, 788
bp-friends.php: 261, 265, 271, 275
bp-groups.php: 1100, 1103, 1114, 1116, 1127, 1129, 1141, 1143, 1154, 1156, 1167, 1169
bp-messages.php: 372, 374
bp-xprofile.php: 577, 580
bp-blogs/directories/bp-blogs-directory-blog.php: 106, 177
If you’ll leave this string open, I’ll add to it as I go along.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.