Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

BP External Activity – pulling RSS into the sitewide stream

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• paulhastings0
    Participant

@paulhastings0

Interesting… so potentially this could network individual blogs together into a mother-website then, right?

So if I could start dreaming I could see this as 2 plugins, 1 for the host site, and 1 for all the child sites. Each child site plugin would send information to the host site plugin. That way when a member of the “XYZ.com” community left a comment or post on an affiliate site, their activity stream on XYZ.com would be updated accordingly.

Practically speaking it would be like having one install with domain mapping to separate domains. The key difference is that each site has it’s own database and it’s own set of plugins. That way if an affiliate site goes down it doesn’t take down all the other installations.

Anton
    Participant

@antonrsa

Will start playing with it

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

@paulhastings0 Yeah, you could definitely do that. It might take a bit of tooling to make sure that items from a given feed are matched with the correct user in your BP installation. But it has the potential to allow users to create content anywhere and pull it into your community, in a facebookish sort of way.

What about allowing users to add their own RSS feeds (for say their own blogs hosted elsewhere) and automatically labeling it with their username?

Moominmama
    Participant

@moominmama

Richard, I am looking for this solution, too! That’s how I ended up on this page (doing a search). That would be a great feature. I’m trying to figure out a way to allow our users to promote their (off-site — we’re not hosting any blogs) posts to their profiles.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘BP External Activity – pulling RSS into the sitewide stream’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar