Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Check if an user is or not a group_member :

• Philippe Gras
    Participant

@phgras

How may I check if an displayed user in a loop, is, or not member of a group ?
    I tried with the `bp_total_group_count_for_user()` function, but it return always 0… I took a look in the option_nav functions (`bp_get_options_nav()` & `bp_get_displayed_user_nav()`), but I didn’t found which element does manage the number of groups displayed in the profile members pages.
    Does somebody have an idea ?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Paul Wong-Gibbs
    Keymaster

@djpaul

`groups_is_user_member( $user_id, $group_id )`

Philippe Gras
    Participant

@phgras

It doesn’t work, and I have later to display the groups that member is user, so `$group`_id doesn’t know which group it matters.

Brajesh Singh
    Participant

@sbrajesh

have you tried the passing user id to the bp_get_total_group_count_for_user(), do not use bp_total_group_count_for_user(), it just echoes the count.
    `
    bp_get_total_group_count_for_user($user_id);
    //or if inside member loop you may o this
    global $members_template;
    $total_group=bp_get_total_group_count_for_user($members_template->member->id);
    `

For using @djpaul ‘s method you need to know group Id. That is best suited when you are on a group page or you know exactly which groups you want to check.

Philippe Gras
    Participant

@phgras

It doesn’t work better, and `bp_total_group_count_for_user( $user_id )` displays only “0”, as you can see here :
    http://www.paul-emploi.biz/plan-du-site/
    for the next hours. I’m trying to build a sitemap.
    I’ve tried with `$members_template->member->user_id` and `$bp->displayed_user->id `, and many other ideas… It’s strange, because some native BP loops in that page become to work incorrectly.

Brajesh Singh
    Participant

@sbrajesh

have you used the get function bp_get_total_group_count_for_user(), as I said earlier, the bp_total_group_count_for_user does not return a value. so use bp_get_total_group_count_for_user

Philippe Gras
    Participant

@phgras

Yes I do, naturally ! I used the `bp_get_total_group_count_for_user()` function before, and seeing that it doesn’t work, I took the `bp_total_group_count_for_user()` function later, to see the reason why it doesn’t work. It’s very strange…
    An other mystery in the group loop for instance, you can see that all the members are displayed, instead the members of a group only !

Philippe Gras
    Participant

@phgras

I have it, now !
    `global $bp, $members_template;

if ( bp_get_total_group_count_for_user( $members_template->member->id ) > 0 )
    return true; else return false;`

Thanks for both of you, @djpaul and @sbrajesh :-).

daganread
    Participant

@daganread

I know this thread is 2 years old. But here’s my problem:

I would like to display different member profiles for different types of groups. I have 2 groups: faculty and contributor. More accurately i want to disable components like bp Links and group docs wiki for the faculty group; i settled for removing the links to such.

i thought the best approach would be to check if a member is of a certain group and then based on the conditional statement, remove the unnecessary tabs in the profile menu. If there is a better approach. Please lead the way:)

in my theme’s function.php:

`
    if(groups_is_user_member( bp_loggedin_user_id(), BP_Groups_Group::get_id_from_slug(‘faculty’))){

function setup_nav() {
    global $bp;

// Remove a menu item
    bp_core_remove_nav_item( ‘messages’ );

}

add_action( ‘bp_setup_nav’, ‘setup_nav’, 1000 );
    }
    `

if i make the conditional statement truthy the appropriate tab is removed. If i stick the code in the if statement into something like header.php it works. BUT for some reason, together they do not.

Perhaps functions.php cannot reach such functions? I tried putting it into bp-custom.php, site just crashed.

Thank you for your time, any help would be appreciated 🙂

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Check if an user is or not a group_member :’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar