Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

creating new forums component

• firetag
    Participant

@firetag

I want to replace the existing forums component with a custom one for my group categories plugin.. And rather than having tabs I want to have an html option box called show… which would have all topics… and then topics by each global category. Whats the best way of replacing the forums component.. should I delete the current built in one using the php unset function or in order to avoid problems should I just register the new forums component as forum rather than forums (forums being the default slug for the built in buddypress component)?… I guess I would want to check what the current forums slug is since you can change it..

Or atleast on my site.. should I provide no forums database at all because really the forums are just a way for groups to communicate. I don’t want users to use this new forums component more than the built in groups component in buddypress.. because I believe really on any social networking site the groups is the centerpiece and [at least on buddypress powered sites] it’s also the main way people communicate.. Although at the same time I want people to be able to navigate the site easily. I think for some people this would be very helpful when navigating a site with lots of categories, but I also believe some people will find it confusing.

• The topic ‘creating new forums component’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar