Categories
Search
Bottom

Having a institution profile, like the Facebook Fan Pages

• Webbasica
    Participant

@webbasica

Hi,
    I’m considering Buddypress for a project, however, I need to know if it is capable of having a differente kind of profile, besides the one for humans. I guess the best way to describe it is the way facebook does it, a fan page for “something” (can be an institution, a website, a personal brand, etc).

Can you make it happen with BP?

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• PJ
    Participant

@pjnu

One option is to have Field Groups for different things. For example, on one BP site we have a section for each category of users on the site. Undergrads, alum, businesses. So each group will fill out their respective section and the public view will appear to be completely different profiles types I guess. Hope that helps.

Webbasica
    Participant

@webbasica

I guess that would work, however, the admin of the institutional user would have to logout from his human profile and login to the institutional profile. And you would only have one admin. The way facebook does it, is you can create a institutional profile, on top of your human profile, that way you can work on both, without loging in and out.

Kunal17
    Participant

@kunal17

I needed similar functionality and was unable to find an existing component/plugin that was flexible enough for our needs. We are currently in the final stages of launching a first version of a company profile add on for our buddypress installation. We’ve built it using the pods plugin at http://podscms.org. I can send you a demo link once its ready if you would like to check it out.

abcde666
    Participant

@erich73

@Webbasica

you might want to use Groups for your institutional profiles…..

Webbasica
    Participant

@webbasica

@Kunal17: thanks buddy, that would be great.

@Erich73: using groups was the way you used to do it in facebook, and it was a mess. Thats why the launched the fan page thing ..

karinmckercher

@karinmckercher

@Kunal17 I’d be interested in the demo, too, please.

Nahum
    Participant

@nahummadrid

i’ve been using groups for this sort of thing. it would be cool to have xprofile fields for groups. a plugin perhaps.

alejandrorecio

@alejandrorecio

hi @Webbasica in this post it says the BuddyPress Announce Group could make things work as a facebook fanpage, have you try this one out?
    http://wpmu.org/two-new-plugins-to-instantly-boost-buddypress-groups-participation/

I installed the static fbml application on my facebook page but whenever i try to put any content it does not show anything . Can you please tell me how to use it . Is there any alternate for this application?

Facebook Fan Pages

I installed the static fbml application on my facebook page but whenever i try to put any content it does not show anything . Can you please tell me how to use it . Is there any alternate for this application?

http://www.boxxstudio.com/

juanmaguerrero
    Participant

@juanmaguerrero

@Webbasica I accomplished that by using the MultiSite feature… each “fanpage” is a blog. When I started my community I studied Facebook Fan pages and concluded that they should not be able to send private messages to their fans, nor tag members on pictures nor make mentions ( @username). Therefore I opted for using “blogs” as fanpages, any business or brand or institution can create a blog and post things, entries, pictures, etc. They can have a king of profile, an about pre-set page and their activity wall is a page with almost no content and all comments! This works also grate if you’re using oEmbed plugin which allows you to paste youtube videos urls and it will be the same than embedding them… so I just think they’re perfect. Let me know if I can help you further… regards

Webbasica
    Participant

@webbasica

Thanks for the tip @juanmaguerrero , certainly very clever.

modemlooper

@modemlooper

You can also create your own BuddyPress component that way things you post into it will work similar to Facebook’s activity stream.

Zen Gonzaga

@zen-gonzaga

since you we are talking about facebook..
    can you guys please help me.
    my facebook login button is not working.
    well.. it ask you to login, after login ask you to allow..
    after.. nothing else happens.
    the window closes and i’m not logged-in in the site that i am developing.

Selu Vega
    Participant

@bluelf

We actually built a plugin for that function, wich was based on eventpress from kunal! It worked for a while, but we are rebuilding it using custom post! We believe on that, and the powerful from having your own custom post to update with wordpress and no depending of others plugin that can be updated or NOT.

modemlooper

@modemlooper

So you basically want someone to develop a site for you? If you do not no how to develop a custom BuddyPress component then hire a developer.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Having a institution profile, like the Facebook Fan Pages’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar