Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Moodle

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

• LPH2005
    Participant

@lph2005

I tried to install this:

http://moodle.schoolsict.net/2010/04/21/db-authentication-with-phpass-integrating-wordpress/

Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to be working :(

LPH2005
    Participant

@lph2005

OK. This is what I’ve learned so far ..

WP is using phpass instead of MD5 hash.
    Moodle is using MD5 hash plus salt

The phpass authentication written by schoolsict built the views incorrectly. I’ve fixed the views and am now working on the php. I’ve discovered you cannot simply rename auth/db to something like auth/db-orig and upload the new /auth/db files … you get blank pages.

And that’s it – it still doesn’t work – yet – but I’ve made progress… (sort of)

Windhamdavid
    Participant

@windhamdavid

LPH2005
    Participant

@lph2005

@Windhamdavid – yes – I’ve seen scholarpress and installed it.

OK – this is my progress. I can now get the WP ID and password recognized and logged into Moodle. The challenge now is the loop of “There are required fields in this form marked” because email and City are blank. When I update those two fields, the error remains that the two fields need updating .. LOL.

Oh – so close – yet – so far ;)

LPH2005
    Participant

@lph2005

In the words of an excited person

Oh Yes! It works.

1. There were some lines in /user/editlib.php that needed to be commented out as well as in edit_form.php
    2. Setting for user is “Student” and not the default “authenticated”

It is very exciting to know that students in August will be able to register in WordPress and immediately have access to the MediaWiki and Moodle … fantastic!

jalien
    Participant

@jalien

Would you be willing to share what you have done. Are you using one database for user information? Is this a single sign-on type of solution where all of the cookies are created on login? I’m not much of a programmer, but very stubborn so I’ll stick at something until I figure it out if it is within my skill set so I would appreciate any pointers you could give. Thanks.

LPH2005
    Participant

@lph2005

Happy to help. I’ll try to give a little detail of the gotchas.

1. Go to http://moodle.schoolsict.net/2010/04/21/db-authentication-with-phpass-integrating-wordpress/ and read their directions. Download their files.

2. Backup your files and database

3. Upload the /auth/db files you downloaded from schoolsict

4. Go to phpmyadmin and create the views provided by schoolsict: now here is the trick. They wanted mdl_firstname2 to be created .. and this didn’t work for me. Instead, I changed all of the “xxx2” to “xxx” and after the 4 views are created then you’ll want to verify that the data are showing in the views.

5. Go to your moodle install, login, and follow the directions on schoolsict to setup the external database.

6. Modify /user/editlib.php and comment out city/county $mforms around lines 198 and 204 …

7. Change the Moodle settings for users to “student” and not “authenticated”

Test, test, and retest.

Hope this helps.

S
    Participant

@sushkov

The new BuddyPress Courseware I’m working on, will kick ass, I wouldn’t even bother testing moodle :)

jalien
    Participant

@jalien

All I really want that WordPress/Buddypress doesn’t do now is a gradebook that will take grades from SCORM or other learning modules. Will BuddyPress Courseware do that? When do you expect a testing version will be available? As an aside I’m also waiting for the latest Scriblio so that the whole setup will include a library and extensive reading program as well; how will their be an API that will allow other plugins to include their data in the gradebook (I think I remember reading that you were going to include one). Looking forward to Courseware.

LPH2005
    Participant

@lph2005

The new BuddyPress Courseware I’m working on, will kick ass, I wouldn’t even bother testing moodle

I look forward to your plugin. Moodle was adopted by our school district last year. Best wishes on your plugin and hope that it is better than Moodle, because it takes a long time to tweak it. Let me know if you ever want someone to help test it for you or give you feature feedback.

jalien
    Participant

@jalien

@LPH2005 Sorry, I completely forgot to say thanks the other day. I’ll have a look at what you did. Hopefully I can get rid of moodle and use WordPress / Buddypress for everything. Moodle is such a pain to customize and even then it still looks like moodle.

LPH2005
    Participant

@lph2005

@Jalien – no problem. I’m a complete novice – even after 15 + years I make huge mistakes and have to squint at the screen for long hours to figure out why something isn’t working ;)

S
    Participant

@sushkov

@Jalien, gradebook should be ready in a week or so. The idea is to use BuddyPress forums as a platform for students solutions postings, and implement a grading system above it. All the data later will be pulled into main Courseware dashboard.

A testing version is available now, but it has no gradebook so far, and will require UI/UX work. A final version is scheduled at the end of my gsoc period, which is end of this summer.

Basically the API approach I’m using is the same as in WordPress: Actions and Filters. The component will be full of hooks so extending it should be a snap.

Here’s the initial list of features: http://gsoc2010.wordpress.com/stas-suscov-academic-suite/

@LPH2005 The code on svn works and allows creating courses, adding assignments and bibliographies to it. Untill monday there will schedules support too.
    People ask how can they install and test…

brianglanz
    Participant

@brianglanz

@sushkov I’ll be testing it out, too and thanks for being so helpful over here in addition to your gsoc work. One thing I will look to do is to enable this feature set in some groups, but not others / noroc

S
    Participant

@sushkov

Thanks a lot, I’ll be checking more often this thread from now on. Looking forward for your feedback @brianglanz

S
    Participant

@sushkov

@Jalien, I committed Gradebook component in latest svn revision. You might want to take a look.
    Create an assignment and you should have access to its gradebook instantly.

S
    Participant

@sushkov

@LPH2005 the per group option was added into 0.1 release.

https://buddypress.org/community/groups/buddypress-courseware/

rusticisoftware

@rusticisoftware

@Jalien – not sure just how I missed your request before. If you need to use SCORM (and not everyone does/should), we released a plug-in a month or so ago that does just that. It allows you to use our SCORM Cloud product directly in WordPress and it’s BuddyPress compatible. You can see an example of it in BuddyPress on my testing blog – http://susanvillaslewis.com/scormtesting/ – although you have to be registered user to see the courses. More at http://scorm.com/wordpress

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘Moodle’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar