Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Am I Breaking Something? Is There An Easier Way?

• Luca Foss

@luca-foss

I’ve posted several times on this forum about the registration process and I really would like to get this completed so I can move on to the next thing with BuddyPress.

I’m setting up a registration page. To do so, I’ve done the following:

1. Pulled the registration code from register.php and saved it to a category page (that has a header, sidebar, and footer.php).
    2. Made a function call to `bp_core_screen_signup()` at the beginning of the registration page. Apparently this function sets up everything. I know this function is reading the hidden form field when submitted, because the process goes through several lines in this function, some of which gave me errors and I fixed them. But when I everything completes, instead of moving on to the next step, it reloads back to the home page, no verification email sent, no fields for avatar uploads…nothing.

So this makes me ask if I’m breaking something by setting up my own registration page. Is there a easier way to get this registration process accomplished?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• modemlooper

@modemlooper

Why are you copying the registration to a different page? Why not just edit the files in /registration? Better, what are you trying to accomplish?

Luca Foss

@luca-foss

“Why not just edit the files in /registration?”

Thanks for your response. I want to create a “signup” page that appears regardless of whether the user is signed in or not. I saw that when I just used “/registration”, the page didn’t show when i was signed in (correct me if I’m wrong here…because maybe it was something it did wrong).

Andrea Rennick
    Participant

@andrea_r

“I saw that when I just used “/registration”, the page didn’t show when i was signed in “

because if you are signed in, they you are already registered and there’s no need to RE-register.

Luca Foss

@luca-foss

right…but I wanted to create a registration page that has the register fields regardless of login…

Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

why?

Luca Foss

@luca-foss

…honestly??…lol….(and I’m still somewhat a rookie at programming so advise at will)

because I’ve seen many sites out there that have a “Join” page. What happens when I, for instance, am at my friends house and he’s logged into the site. So he has to log out for me to join? It just seems to me that a join page would be standard..that’s all…

but once again..if from your expertise, this makes no sense for me to even spend time on, please let me know..

fyi..since I’ve posted this, I’ve discovered/solved many things, and it looks like I’m getting closer to solving it…but once again, if this isn’t worth the time…please let me know..

Just started up Buddypress and Easy Albums. All ok except for no ability for a visitor / friend to ’register’, ’create account’ or ’sign up’ in the Members fields.

I have icons of Newest – Active and Popular but nothing for visitors to register and create profile. Currently I am the only one listed on site as a member with ability to create / edit my profile. Am I missing something obvious?
    Can someone tell me where to start at getting a registration Sign up function operating?

pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

@ssmith2

Please start a new thread and repost your support question rather than hijacking someone elses thread. Supplying answers to 2 unrelated questions can only lead to confusion. ;-)

modemlooper

@modemlooper

If a user is logged into WordPress in the same browser there is no way to have a user register another account. Try this on any site on the web an I guarantee you can not.

Luca Foss

@luca-foss

Well…

I figured that I can have a register page with the register fields that is independent of login status. The purpose of the register page is to “save data to the database”.

Ever since I began this forum post, I solved some things. I created my join page (I’d have to really break it down how I did it). When a new user registers, his/her information gets saved to the database. Then the screen reloads saying that an “email was sent and to activate the account, click the email”.

The email was sent to the make-believe user I created. When I clicked the email, it redirected me to the activation page where it encouraged me to login. HERE AT THIS POINT (step 1), I figured that I can run some conditional, where if someone else is logged in, the new user logging into his/her account would log the active user out. (step 2) At this point, once the new user logs and the active user is logged out, the avatar load process and the rest of the completion of the new account can take place.

As long as all of the needed info is supplied to the db for a new user, it looks to me like this is the most important thing in establishing a new user. I shouldn’t be breaking anything (correct me if I’m wrong here).

So..it sounds possible to me… :-)

modemlooper

@modemlooper

This sounds like a serious security no no to me but it’s your site hack away.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Am I Breaking Something? Is There An Easier Way?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar