Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Changing colors of menu tabs and admin bar

• Sage
    Participant

@testingbuddy777

How can I change the color of the top admin bar and menu tabs? i am new to BP and was not able to find it. (with bp-default)

Anybody knows if next version of BP for WP 3.0 will allow drop-down menu?

Thanks!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

First, you’ll need to know a little bit about CSS to override the color scheme in the default BP theme.

Secondly, you’ll need to create a child theme to apply your new CSS changes. Read this guide to build a child theme from the default BP theme:
    https://codex.buddypress.org/how-to-guides/building-a-buddypress-child-theme/

Next version will probably not include drop down menus in the theme, perhaps in BP 1.3 to take advantage of the new WP custom menus. For now, you’ll have to add this yourself by customizing the theme and applying a little jQuery trickery.

There are a ton of tutorials on jQuery drop down menus out there; you should be able to find one that fits your needs.

If you have no experience customizing themes, you might find this a little daunting!

Sage
    Participant

@testingbuddy777

Any idea which file I should look into to change the color of the top admin bar and menu tabs? Thanks!

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

Edit your theme’s style.css.

And add the following:
    #wp-admin-bar .padder, #wp-admin-bar ul li ul {background:red !important;}

This is just to get you started.

Again, I advise you to create a child theme to apply your new style changes. Read this guide to build a child theme from the default BP theme:
    https://codex.buddypress.org/how-to-guides/building-a-buddypress-child-theme/

Sage
    Participant

@testingbuddy777

Wow, that does work. THANKS! I was looking for a color to change somewhere and didn’t realize I had to add a line. How do you change the menus’ color? (my skills at css are close to null…)

And yes, I’ll look at the child theme link.

Thanks again.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Changing colors of menu tabs and admin bar’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar