Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Found more activity stream issues in BP 1.5 – Is it just me?

• rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Right guys, over the last few hours I have found a few activity stream issues in BP 1.5.

Rather than have different topics, I’m going to place them all in here.

1. Blog post comments and comment replies do no longer show up in the activity stream. Old ones that were once in the stream are still there, but new commets/ replies to comments on blog posts no longer get added to the stream.

2. If I go back in to update an already published post (i.e I may see a spelling mistake or something) then the post automatically jumps back up to the top activity stream item as if it is a new post.
    Not only that but the excerpt is preceded by [/caption].

I’ve tried it on my own theme and BP default and the behaviour is exactly the same.

Could someone try this on their install and see if the same thing applies?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Re (2): The “bump” is by design. See https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2546 Can’t reproduce the ‘caption’ issue.

New blog posts and comments are working fine for me.

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Cheers Boone, I’ll have a play around and report back.

Would there be a way to stop the bump on new posts?

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Posts that are just text and have no picture are fine when first published or updated. It’s posts that have a picture WITH a caption attached to it that suffer from the [/caption] text in the activity stream excerpt.

If you put a picture in the top left of your post, add a caption and publish or update the post, you might see the [/caption] text appear at the start of the excerpt in the activity stream.

Would be great if you could let me know.

Still having problems with blog post comments not appearing either. Need to explore that further.

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

@boonebgorges pretty sure this is a bit of a bug, unless it’s my server set up. I’ve tried it again on a different blog and it happens.

Any luck replicating it yourself?

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

> Any luck replicating it yourself?

Gee whiz, give me a little time :)

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

I’m unable to reproduce the caption issue. Publishing and republishing posts with captions does not show anything unusual in the activity stream. In fact, I’m a bit confused why you would ever be seeing the caption shortcode, since that should be fully processed into HTML by the time it hits the activity stream.

The only thing I can think of is that you’ve somehow removed the opening shortcode for [caption] so that WP is no longer rendering it properly.

> Would there be a way to stop the bump on new posts?

The easiest thing to do would be to remove the bp_blogs_record_post hook from the save_post action, and provide your own version of it instead, using $post->post_date_gmt for recorded_time instead of $post->post_modified_gmt

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

@boonebgorges

I can definitely recreate this on 3 installs now, the latest being a vanilla install of just WP and BP

Here is what you do.

-Create a new post
    -before typing any text, insert a picture and give it a caption
    -you can type anything you want now and then publish the post

Basically the picture has to come at the start of the post, so that the [/caption] shortcode is within the character limit of the excerpt.

If you have a post with a picture further down the post, it will be outside of the excerpt character length and you will be okay.

If you want me to make a screen cast, let me know and I’ll knock one up to show you.

As long as your picture is at the top of the post, you’ll 100% see what I mean.

Let me know dude :)

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Still can’t reproduce it. I believe you that it happens, but it’s not happening on my install, no matter what image I use. Can you give more specific details about what you’re filling in for image metadata?

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Hey Boone, there is no other meta data in the picture from what I can see.

I have tried it on one more install and done you a screencast to show you exactly how I recreate it.

Hope it helps!

http://screenr.com/sPrs

valuser
    Participant

@valuser

can reproduce – but ONLY WHEN YOU REMOVE the Link Url .

if link url is left in all is well.

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

@valuser Yes, that’s it. I’ve opened a ticket https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3697

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

@valuser @boonebgorges

Nice! Glad we figured this out! Nice work team! :)

Now I just need to find out why blog comments aren’t showing up in my stream! :(

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Found more activity stream issues in BP 1.5 – Is it just me?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar