Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Groups don’t allow avatar upload

• Avatars 404 if set to anything but the default, uploaded images don’t work for the groups section.

I have a pretty good idea as to what I did to mess this up, and it is not a buddypress error but a stupid web admin error.

I changed the database password prior to this happening (shame on my noobish self), so this could be as simple as locating all the files that access the database with the password and changing the password from the old to new manually. I had the same problem with profile pictures post database password change and this solved it. Any devs or power users out there have a list of the files I would have to change the pass in? I’ve searched for hours but found nothing. Any help would be greatly appeciated.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Virtuali
    Participant

@gunju2221

Well if you can’t remember where you changed the password, it’s nearly impossible to tell you where you made the change.

Unless your password has gotten out to others, never ever ever change your database password or username because you will lose data, and cause problems with authentication, writable files, and other.

What files I have to change the password in now that the database has a new password is the issue. I didn’t forget which files to modify, I never modified those files because I don’t know which ones they are. My question is which files does buddypress store the database password in?

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

wp-config.php of your wordpress installation directory. Also bb-config.php in the same directory if you are using forums.

Thank you for the promt reply Boone, it is appreciated.

I’ve already changed it in those two locations.

The exact error is upon attempted upload of a group avatar (which previously worked) it will attempt to crop and then post the image that posts a 404 at both the cropping and finished stages.

Buddypress has no problem creating the path to the 404ed image but it cannot seem to locate anything uploaded. The only changes to the source code of buddypress I have made were done after these problems started so they can be ruled out. It started with the changing of the database password which was properly changed in both of those files prior to this. That restored all my features except group avatar uploads.

Changing a DB password would not result in these issues, that is something simply between MySQL and the DB connection file details.

What prompted the password change what other actions did you perhaps take? Anything server related? Was this a server move? Walk us through any actions that you may have taken.

Yes it does.

I changed it and lost all my forums, activity, and other stuff.

I changed the DB pass through php my admin for security and backup reasons. Everything else I left alone. What factors of what files should I look for irregularities in?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Groups don’t allow avatar upload’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar