Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Help with Messaging and @mentions

• stoi2m1
    Participant

@stoi2m1

WP 3.0.2 Network configuration Buddypress 1.2.6 subdirectory configuration.

@mentions do not appear in the notifications menu item in the buddybar, nor is an email received by the @mentioned. @mentions can be seen by going to My Account >> Activity >> @user Mentions. Messages can be made to the activity stream and replies can be made to them, and if you should get an email notification for this reply Im not sure thats working either.

Private Messages are not sending at all even though a conformation is given after attempting to send a message.

Can anyone point me in a direction to start testing what maybe causing these problems?

Thanks, Jesse

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• stoi2m1
    Participant

@stoi2m1

Bump, if my question is too complicated then say so, and just give me some pointers to start seeing if different parts of these systems are working and not working. Like what files these functions are in or what functions i should be taking a look at.

Thanks

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@mentions- currently do not show up in your notifications menu; I believe this might be included in BP 1.3 due early next year.

Re: email – please read this:
    https://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/faqs/specific-faqs/#register

stoi2m1
    Participant

@stoi2m1

@r-a-y thanks for the response. Can you point in the right direction to resolving a problem Im having with Messaging not working? I go to my member page and try to send a message to anyone. It says it has sent, but it is never received.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@stoi2m1 – Did you view the link I posted above? The info on the page tells you to use the “Mail From” plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/mail-from/

Try that and see if emails are sent out.

stoi2m1
    Participant

@stoi2m1

@r-a-y I think my issue is beyond a simple email issue. I installed the email plugin you mentioned just to humor the situation. When I try to send a private message I get redirected to the homepage of my site. So I could either be experiencing a 404 error or some other similar problem.

Also Im not even getting notifications at the recipient. I also do not have a message in the senders sent message box nor in the recipients inbox.

Thanks,

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Notifications for at-mentions will be in BP 1.3: https://trac.buddypress.org/changeset/3403

Your messaging problem sounds strange, like your installation somehow got corrupted, or like you have a plugin conflict. Are you running any other BP-related plugins? Try deactivating them and turning on the BuddyPress Default theme for the sake of testing; that will help determine whether the problem is with BP, or your BP configuration, or with third-party add-ons.

stoi2m1
    Participant

@stoi2m1

Ill setup a test environment to work on this problem. Ill add some info to what i find when I get that far, thanks for the suggestions (they are the usual things to try I was just looking to avoid all of that if i could). I have about 200 regular users of the site and I dont want to do any work on the live site. SO look for me to add some info in the near future. Thanks Again

stoi2m1
    Participant

@stoi2m1

@boonegorges , @r-a-y I have setup my test environment and I have found that it is my theme causing the problem. I have made some changes to it and Im not certain to which area I should be looking in for problems. Can you point me to some of the main function which are used for the messaging? Thanks.

stoi2m1
    Participant

@stoi2m1

For anyone with a similar problem. I have resolved my problem and here is a little info on what I did.

It seems the problem was resolved at the same time while trying to resolve another problem I had. I believe the issue was coming from a jquery or javascript conflict. All seemed good on my test server so I installed the new theme on my live server all seemed to be good there too

It is possible for javascript and jquery errors to come from both the theme and plugins so always consider starting your trouble shooting with the default theme and all plugins disable and remove all plugins from the muplugins folder. This will give you a good base to verify things are operational from the beginning.

Thanks Again for the help @r-e-y and @boonegorges

xavieremerson

@xavieremerson

hello,

I’m very new to buddypress. Could you tell me how the ‘mentions’ actually works in buddypress. How the item are added to mentions list?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Help with Messaging and @mentions’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar