Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How can I get rid of this?

• newpress
    Participant

@newpress

I use Frisco, bbpress 2.0 for group forums. Recently tried a hyper linked forum signature to find that the hyper linked signatures bear the same color as other site wide hyper links. Users will be misguided. How can I overcome this?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Why will users be mis-guided? the purpose of colouring links and/or adding cursor definition , underlines etc is to highlight a section of text to be a link or serving a further purpose than just readable text, in that respect the styling of links isn’t in the main to denote a type of link.

Of course you can style links in page sections differently if you wish and you would simply do that via your stylesheet using, probably, descendent selectors to style the link based on some specific parent element i.e something that tokenised the element as ‘forum’ or something similar that was unique.

What is your skill level when it comes to HTML/CSS? This is a fairly straightforward thing to accomplish.

newpress
    Participant

@newpress

Why will users be mis-guided?

Forum signatures are mostly external links. When they bear the same color, users might jump to the conclusion that they are a part of the site navigation

What is your skill level when it comes to HTML/CSS?

Zero

newpress
    Participant

@newpress

What is your skill level when it comes to HTML/CSS?

I still live in the 20th century

Roger Coathup
    Participant

@rogercoathup

@newpress — if you want to modify a website theme, at the very least you’ll need some HTML / CSS knowledge. It would be a good idea to book up on those before attempting to modify the look and feel of your site.

users might jump to the conclusion that they are a part of the site navigation

Ok that’s all you needed to have said in the first place – so the reason I asked skill level was because this is a fairly basic thing to do, but as has been said above you will need some ground level CSS knowledge – I gave you a pointer on how to do that if that wasn’t clear then you perhaps ought to have expressed that rather than taking a cheap shot at me :)

Further than that it’s difficult to help with we don’t know the theme so can’t give absolute answers only guidence.

In a stylesheet somewhere in your theme you need to add a rule along the lines of .forum-signatures a {color: red;}

but you will need to identify what element is the parent of the anchor for the correct class or id to use replacing my example ‘.forum-signatures’

newpress
    Participant

@newpress

Specs

1. WordPress latest
    2. Buddypress latest
    3. Frisco theme
    4. Use bbpress 2.0 for group forums
    5. Use “GD bbpress Tools” plugin to have a signature. (its sad that bbpress doesnt have such a basic feature)

For the second time in my entire life, I had a look at PHP and CSS. I hope I can cope with. Till then which is the “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘How can I get rid of this?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar