Categories
Search
Bottom

How does WordPress/Buddypress work?

• roelant
    Participant

@roelant

Hi,

I installed WordPress + the Buddypress plugin properly. But I expected it to replace my current domain, but instead WordPress is now visible at mydomain.com/wordpress. And I see no difference for the Buddypress plugin. Except for the plugin in the wordpress-admin of course.

I think I miss some bits of the basics here… Can anybody tell me how WordPress normally works and how I should get this integrated with my website?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

Welcome to BuddyPress!

First of all, are you installing a fresh WordPress install with no prebuilt theme? If so, make sure you have BuddyPress activated, then in the WP admin area, navigate to “Appearance > Themes” and enable the “BuddyPress Default” theme.

roelant
    Participant

@roelant

Yeah, thanks, I got that thing working, and it seems that that was the problem yesterday when I couldn’t see my new setup-fields.
    But now I have a new problem… I cannot enter my admin site anywhere!

Where should I do that?

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

If you’re the admin of your WP site, you should see a “My Blogs” menu in your BP admin bar (located at the very top).

Mouseover this menu and find a link called “Dashboard”. Click on that and you should be good to go!

roelant
    Participant

@roelant

I really don’t see this “My blogs”! The only thing I see is the My activity, notifications and Visit menu. But there is no way to enter my dashboard! :-(

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

Oops… sorry the “My Blogs” menu only shows up if you’re using network mode in WP 3.0! This isn’t necessary unless you want to allow your users to create independent blogs on your site. Sorry for the crummy advice there!

You can always visit the dashboard manually by going to:
    example.com/wp-admin/

You can also customize the BuddyBar to include a link to the dashboard manually as well.

I posted a ticket on this and a quick and dirty solution, which I can pastebin if required

http://pastebin.com/gsNJgGET

Needs to go in a bp-custom.php file in the plugins folder

It’s basic but got a bit fed up having to manually get to dashboard.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘How does WordPress/Buddypress work?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar