Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How to open syndicated RSS in new (blank) window

• I was searching the forums to find out how to get syndicated posts (rss feeds from the feedwordpress plugin) to open in a new window. They are all external links and I would prefer to keep my users on the site.

I found this interesting snippet and wondered if someone could help me to apply it to the standard BuddyPress theme?

The example it gives is for a WordPress theme from Atahalpa.

In that theme you need to go to /wp-content/themes/atahualpa345/functions and open bfa_post_parts.

Around line 53 you will find (ignore the hash marks):

# if( !is_single() AND !is_page() ) { ?>
    # <a href="” rel=”bookmark” title=”Permanent Link to “><?php
    # }
    #

You must replace it with:

# if( !is_single() AND !is_page() ) { ?>
    # <a href="” rel=”bookmark” target=”_blank” title=”Permanent Link to <?
    # php the_title(); ?>”><?php
    # }
    #

Apparently the magic ingredient is:

# target=”_blank”

The author claims that on that theme all syndicated posts will open in a new window when clicked on the headline. All other posts will still open in the same window.

Question is, how can I make it work in BuddyPress?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • I have just tried several times to post a message to this forum and each time its been completely mangled by BuddyPress to the point that it now makes no sense. Large chunks have been left out. Without the ability to include quoted or coded items and no opportunity to preview your post before posting, IMHO this part of BuddyPress really sucks. I can only hope I will find a plugin writer somewhere who has given BuddyPress some proper editing and posting functions.

“BP Forum Extras” by Rich Fuller at https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-group-forum-extras/ make a BuddPress forum really work as it ought to, except for the post preview, which I haven’t found yet… but I will or I will create it!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘How to open syndicated RSS in new (blank) window’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar