Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Integrating Buddypress, Wootumblog and WPMU Sitewide tags

• Judging by the lack of information when I perform a search, I may be one of the few people that has tried to get these plugins playing nicely together. When all is sorted and the site is live, I’ll post up a link to hopefully inspire a few other sites to try them out together.

Basically what I have is a standard WP multisite/BP configuration, to which I’ve installed the WooTumblog plugin at the network level and then added ‘function woo_tumblog_type’ and ‘function woo_tumblog_short_title’ to the functions.php file in the child theme used by my sub-sites. Both my main theme and child themes are heavily adapted from the BP Default theme.

Somewhat frustrated by the lack of front-end publishing tools for WordPress and keen to use the WooTumblog dashboard (which uses javascript enabled panel changes depending on whether a user wishes to publish a video, image, quote, link or article), I decided to customise the admin area for users to look identical to the site’s front-end, then I removed all other dashboard widget boxes (using unset($wp_meta_boxes…) and all the admin sidebars and menus (using remove_submenu_page()) and also customised the admin bar.

The result is a a user admin dashboard that looks as if it is a part of the main site. The configurations are triggered by user level – using <?php if ( current_user_can('manage_options') ) – so at a network level I can still see the full admin menu, but users only see the wootumblog dashboard widget and can toggle through to view a list of comments on their site or posts.

I came slightly unstuck when I implemented the WPMU sitewide tags plugin which copies everything on the network into a single site which can them be used to produce cross-site tags, searches and display all the latest network posts. On the front end of my main site (where all the latest posts are displayed) I display a tumblog icon against each post based on its taxonomy (i.e. video, image, quote…) . I have built a ‘catch image’ function which displays the first image from a post and where there is no image (such as for a quote or video) it displays a default thumbnail.

Everything works fine except I cannot get the custom taxonomy to reach the main site (or tag blog) so that I can then customise the presentation of these sub-site posts.

I’ve been in contact with Ron Rennick (who maintains WPMU SWT) and Jeff Pearce (who is the woo themes developer behind wootumblog). They’ve both shared their advice, but I’ve not worked with classes, actions and filters so I’m finding it difficult translating their advice into tangible changes in my code.

If anyone has a spare moment and would like to give it a go, here’s a link to Ron’s advice; http://wordpress.org/support/topic/getting-buddypress-and-sitewide-tags-to-play-nicely?replies=10

And he refers to a post that he wrote which describes how to add a filter to solve the issue: http://wpmututorials.com/plugins/sitewide-tags-update/

Also in conversation with Jeff (woothemes) this morning, he advised that I use the following snippet:

`// Custom Taxonomy Tumblog Filter
    add_action(‘pre_get_posts’, ‘woo_taxonomy_tumblog_filter’ ); function woo_taxonomy_tumblog_filter( $query ) {

global $wp_query;

if ($query->is_home || $query->is_front_page) {

$query->set(‘tax_query’, array( ‘taxonomy’ => ‘tumblog’ ));

$query->parse_query();
    }

return $query;

}`

I feel a little out of my depth trying to make this work. I can see that both plugins are working fine with BP, however sitewide tags is filtering out the custom taxonomy created by wootumblog and I need to add that filter back in.

Anyone with any thoughts? I’ve been badgering Ron and Jeff all day, but been unable to confirm (a) which piece of code to add? and (b) which file to add it in?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Bump. Would really appreciate any responses to this post – it’s immensely frustrating asking for assistance with a real problem (i.e. one who’s solution would probably help others) and then getting zero feedback (even if that feedback was to say – don’t be a douche try this..) ;)

I’ve now got as far as creating a plugin to add a filter for the tumblog taxonomy, but no luck. Here it is in case anyone has anything to add..

`<?php
    /*
    Plugin Name: SWT Custom Taxonomy
    Plugin URI: http://skiddnet.com
    Description: Addition of new custom taxonomies to the wpmu sitewide tags plugin.
    Version: 1.0
    Author: CitizenSlide
    Author URI: http://skiddnet.com
    License: GPL2
    */

function my_swt_custom_tax_filter( $taxonomies ) {
    $taxonomies[] = ‘tumblog’;
    return $taxonomies;
    }
    add_filter( ‘sitewide_tags_custom_taxonomies’, ‘my_swt_custom_tax_filter’ );
    ?>`

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Integrating Buddypress, Wootumblog and WPMU Sitewide tags’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar