Categories
Search
Bottom

Life Cycle of a Group?

• Calvin Powers
    Participant

@cspowers

Howdy all,

I’m in the process of building a site around buddy press and am curious about the lifecycle of a group. Many of the groups on my site will revolve around time-based events. For example, there might be a group for “MLB 2011”. The group will be public at first. anyone can join and participate. But at some point after the end of the MLB 2011 season I’d want to shutdown the group.

I see that a group can be deleted. But I’d like to be able to lock/close/whatever a group to new activity while still being able to see the existing content of the group. In case we want to go back and mine it for lesson’s learned, etc.

I thought about making the group private, kicking everyone out except the admin and just leaving it in that state. That mostly works except that the content goes away from public view.

Any other ideas?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

@cspowers

That’s a very interesting idea for a plugin! Any takers? :-)

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

Hmm… this is an interesting idea.

I would propose maybe building a group extension plugin that asks the super admin when the group should be closed.

If the group is closed, remove access to the activity entry form and the group forum form. Off the top of my head, not sure if there are any filters to disable the forms, might need to modify the group templates to do this. Could also remove the group join buttons as well.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Life Cycle of a Group?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar