Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Make Standard Buddypress Theme Header Width Static, Not Fluid

• Brian Owens
    Participant

@brianowens

Hi, I’m working on a site at illuminationsculturalexperiences.com and the header looks different in different browsers and screen resolutions. A guy at the warrior forum told me just to add width=”900″ to the css file in the body area, but no matter where I put that, nothing changes.

Any help appreciated!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • No nothing will if you don’t describe a unit!

Brian Owens
    Participant

@brianowens

could you tell me how to do that?

If you state a value then unless it’s zero it must have a unit, 900 what? banana skins, doughnuts, or perhaps px, em, %

Brian Owens
    Participant

@brianowens

oh, I mean I did put 900px…but no matter where its at the header doesn’t change

You have to be a little more liteeral then as to what you have been trying – sorry not wanting to come across too … but do need things explained in coding terms i.e reference actual elements, perhaps show the the snippets of code pertaining to the attempts, is this a child theme? does it work off the BP default styles or is it a unique layout, need some detail to be able to understand what you have tried.

Oh just checked the site :) strangely familiar! why did you feel the need to ask how to set a fixed width after the very lengthy post I made or did I miss a a question asked in the thread?

I’ve just changed the width on the body ruleset from width:90%; to width:900px; works for me! I would lose the min/max widths though.

Hnla /Hugo answered your question on this original thread:

https://buddypress.org/community/groups/miscellaneous/forum/topic/header-image-not-fitting-on-site/

Please be mindful not to tie up resources around the net needlessly :)

There was no reason not to have continued in the original thread and you should have done.

Brian Owens
    Participant

@brianowens

yeah, your lengthly response the other day was a little over my head. It’s the standard buddypress default style. My problem is with knowing specifically where to make the change. Where specifically. In the CSS file? In the Header File? If in the CSS (as I assume) where do you see width:90%? And what min/max widths should I delete?

Sorry for the questions…Thanks for the answers

Where do you see it?

look at the default.css look for the ‘body’ ruleset

<snip>
    `
    @import url( reset.css ); /* Reset browser defaults */

/* > Global Elements

*/

body {
    background: #eaeaea url( ../images/background.gif ) top left repeat-x;
    font-size: 12px;
    font-family: Arial, Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif;
    line-height: 170%;
    color: #555;
    width: 90%; <<<<<<<<<
    min-width: 960px; <<<<<< delete
    max-width: 1250px; <<<<<< delete
    margin: 0 auto;
    padding-top: 0 !important; /* Remove the top padding space for the admin bar in this theme */
    }
    body.activity-permalink {
    min-width: 960px; <<<<< delete both change to width
    max-width: 960px;
    }

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
    margin: 5px 0 15px 0;
    }

h1 { font-size: 28px; margin-bottom: 25px; }
    h2 { font-size: 24px; margin-bottom: 20px; }
    h3 { font-size: 20px; }
    h4 { font-size:
    `
    Do all that in a copy of the file in your child theme otherwise the changes will be overwritten when you upgrade BP

Child theme can simply be a new folder under /themes containing new styles.css and calls to copies of the other BP stylesheets which you’ll modify in stead of the original, the codex/docs has greater detail on this.

Brian Owens
    Participant

@brianowens

That’s what I was looking for, but I don’t have a default.css file anywhere.

I have rtf.css, and style.css, in the theme editor. Neither of them look like the above code snippet.

Brian Owens
    Participant

@brianowens

correction, rtl.css ^

Look in your style.css file that will show where default.css is being called from.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Make Standard Buddypress Theme Header Width Static, Not Fluid’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar