Categories
Search
Bottom

My site got killing slow and some special characters broken

• Gianfranco
    Participant

@gian-ava

The website is http://cureuphoria.com

All of a sudden yesterday, the site got killing slow and special characters got teh funny symbols (that is in the Admin too).
    I obviously suspect some hack attack here.

I got LOTS of spam registration the last days. I deleted one fake member after the other.
    Than installed SI Captcha, but still had some.
    Now I changed the register slug to something else.

How can I fix both problems: slow + characters?
    The slowness will push away users from using the site. It’s like having a nail in my heart, ’til I solve this.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Gianfranco
    Participant

@gian-ava

Sometimes, when I reload the admin, the funny characters are gone.
    The site is always extremely slow. Both backend and front end.

Gianfranco
    Participant

@gian-ava

I suspect it is the SI Captcha plugin, genereting the slowness. I deactivated and it looks lke speed is back to normal. I need to check this deeper and make sure it actually IS this.

thelandman
    Participant

@thelandman

@gian-ava, if you’re on a cheap shared-host then there’s a possibility that could slow your website down, a lot. With a sudden rise in users and activity on a shared-host your site is bound to take a lot of strain, because of the limited resources that is dedicated to your site from your hosting company.

There is always a possibility of your site being hacked. I’m not too sure how likely this is otherwise it would be a widespread issue across buddypress.org.

For the unusual characters, I would set the encoding of your WordPress to Unicode(UTF8),
    1. Make sure you are logged in as admin
    2. In the admin dashboard, go to Settings > Reading
    3. In the text box next to “Encoding for pages and feeds” insert “UTF-8” without the exclamation marks.

Gianfranco
    Participant

@gian-ava

@thelandman Thanks for your reply.

Settings were fine. The characters problem seems to be gone.
    And since I deactivated the SI Captcha, the slowness too.
    Except for the homepage, which displays the activity stream. It actually do render fast, but it the loading seems to keep going endelessly, if you know what I mean. Like “something”, a script maybe, is being charged forever. But at the list all the necessary JS and CSS are loaded fast.

As for shared hosting, yeah, that is where I am at for now. Cureuphoria does not have SO much trafic for the moment. But I my consider switching for another service.
    I don’t know if taking another shared host on MT and put only *one* website does the difference, or it’s the limitation of the sharad host itself and not how many sites you have in it that shared to be slower.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘My site got killing slow and some special characters broken’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar