Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

new child theme function.php breaks log in

• Hi,

I am creating my own child theme. In order to do this, I have created a new blank functions.php in my newly created child theme folder (located in /wp-content/themes/ ). I added a couple of new functions to the new functions.php, to enable activity as frontpage, and to add another sidebar, but then realised that pressing the log in button (which had been working before) produced a blank screen. The wordpress text editor also stopped working (saving edits resulted in a blank screen).

I retraced my steps, removing the functions 1 by 1, but even a blank file produced the same results. When I revert back to the default functions.php, by deleting the child version, everything works fine.

When I start over, I can get one or two functions working, briefly, then they break, and I can’t even get the blank file to work, as before…

Can anyone point me in a good direction for troubleshooting?

Thanks!

Jimmy

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• modemlooper

@modemlooper

Could be a badly written function. Try this: Place functions in a file bp-custom.php put that file in your plugins folder.

Thanks Modemlooper,

I just tried that, and I still get the screen of death. Does that confirm it’s a badly written function?

It’s weird coz I remove a function, then it sporadically fixes, then breaks again.

Would I be able to figure it out by running an htaccess error report?

Thanks,

Jimmy

modemlooper

@modemlooper

One other thing I noticed before. If you use a function that is similar to one thats in the default folder it can cause problems. Is a function named the same as a default one?

Thanks Modemlooper,

I don’t think I’ve repeated any, but i will go through it with a fine tooth comb and a fresh head tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Jimmy

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

I added a couple of new functions to the new functions.php, to enable activity as frontpage

This shouldn’t be needed as this is fixed in the latest version of BP.

As the guys say, a white screen of death is a PHP fatal error and is usually caused by a typo in the PHP, duplicate function name or a PHP memory limit error.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘new child theme function.php breaks log in’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar