Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Problem with apostrophe in site title and emails. Advice Needed!

• rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

Hi guys, this is a weird one that I don’t understand but I am sure is easily fixed.

I have noticed in the activation email that gets sent out from my site that where there is an apostrophe in the site’s title – Actors’ Network that the apostrophe actually gets replaced by the html code – [Actors & #039; Network] Activate Your Account

THIS ONLY HAPPENS IN THE ACTIVATION EMAIL – but I think it is causing some of these to go to junk folders as thetitle gets screwed up.

In all other emails, such as password reset etc, I don’t see this happening.

Could anyone tell me the cause of it, or is there a way I can manually change the subject line of the activation email?

Would love some help with this!

Ross :)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

I’m thinking this is perhaps a WP issue? Does WP handle the activation email and BP handle the password rest, or are tey both handled by WP? It’s odd that the apostrophe shows fine in the password reset email but not the activation email.

Why is it really a “Problem”? per say? The apostrophe just means it’s plural.

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

@virtuali sorry mate, the HTML above was interpreted correctly by this site thus it looks fine above.

The apostrophe doesn’t come out as an apostrophe in the subject line of my activation email.

It actually comes out as & #039;

I’ve changed it in my original post to reflect this problem properly

I think what the above poster was saying is do you even need the apostrophe? Is it an Actors Network (a group of actors plural) or is it an Actor’s Network (a group belonging to actors)? In any case if it is Actor’s plural the apostrophe goes after the r not the s it only goes there in plural words ending in s. Sorry I’m a bit of a grammar geek.

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

The plural is indeed needed and should go after the s if referring to more than one actor. If the apostrophe went after the r it would only be referring to a network belonging to one actor.

The network belongs to multiple actors thus the apostrophe has to go after the s.

rossagrant
    Participant

@rossagrant

I have found a workaround this issue by editing the subject line of the activation email by a simple function found here!

http://www.dnxpert.com/2010/08/13/buddypress-how-to-customize-activation-email/

Would love to see us able to customise all emails in future versions of BP though! :)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Problem with apostrophe in site title and emails. Advice Needed!’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar