Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Single activity item display layout and style discrepencies

• snark
    Participant

@snark

Trying to figure out how to make the single Activity item display pages match the style of the rest of the site, and also to understand why this difference exists in the first place. You the discrepancy in action here on this single activity item display page of testbp.org:

http://testbp.org/members/hollers105/activity/68390/

Compare that to the other pages, and you can see that the page is a few hundred pixels narrower.

Now, I see in the style sheet this code:

body.activity-permalink {

min-width: 960px;

max-width: 1250px;

}

— and changing the max-width to 1250px works to increase the page width to match, but I’m having other display issues on the individual Activity display pages, including:

• The “content” and “padder” divs are missing
    • The sidebar is missing

I want to make this page match the others, but I can’t figure out where and how it is making the layout changes above that I want to remove. Or if it has a good reason for behaving the way it does, since as far as I can tell this is a deliberate choice and not a bug.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • i have the same problem… it’s default to the original theme, and as i add a block of widgets just above the footer, the look is horrible… ;(

Andy Peatling
    Keymaster

@apeatling

In a child theme you can change this to whatever you’d like (add back the sidebar and content div etc). Just override this template file:

members/single/activity/permalink.php

would be amazing if simply put as a popup… we click the activity and a popup show the content of it… :)

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@nexia

It’s doable. You’ll need to modify the theme and use a lightbox-type script.

i know it is doable @r-a-y, i did it already… ;) the point is a suggestion… rofl

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

Good job! ;)

PH (porsche)
    Participant

@porscheheritage

Wow. judging from the forum posts; transitions to 1.2 is not smooth.. and many dont like the changes. cant wait for the next set of changes that will force me to redeploy my site again!

PH: I’ve just read a post where you’ve written exactly the same. I don’t even see how *this* post has anything to do with a 1.1-1.2 upgrade. Please keep on topic and your posts relevant to the thread.

@apleating thanks for pointing us to the location of the template file. Easy enough to fix for a child theme, though it probably would have been better if the activity permalink page template followed the theme’s default template.

Fix:

1. In your child theme create the following folders members/single/activity/
    2. Copy over permalink.php from the default bp theme (/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-themes/bp-default/members/single/activity/permalink.php)
    3. Modify the permalink.php code to show the following — replace the asterisk with the appropriate tag:

*?php get_header() ?*

*div id=”content”*
    *div class=”padder”*

*div class=”activity no-ajax”*
    *?php if ( bp_has_activities( ‘display_comments=threaded&include=’ . bp_current_action() ) ) : ?*

*ul id=”activity-stream” class=”activity-list item-list”*
    *?php while ( bp_activities() ) : bp_the_activity(); ?*

*?php locate_template( array( ‘activity/entry.php’ ), true ) ?*

*?php endwhile; ?*
    */ul*

*?php endif; ?*
    */div*

*/div*
    */div*

*?php locate_template( array( ‘sidebar.php’ ), true ) ?*

*?php get_footer() ?*

#####################

In your child’s style.css file add:

body.activity-permalink {
    min-width: YOUR-PIXEL-NUMBER !important;
    max-width: YOUR-PIXEL-NUMBER !important;
    }

stwc
    Participant

@stwc

@agrundner Thanks for that — one of the thousand little things I noticed and forgot and was going to go back to. And just did!

I simply removed the css code

`body.activity-permalink`

altogether and it worked nicely for me.

micb11
    Participant

@micb11

I have spent a couple of days trying to find out how to do this on my child theme. Thanks a lot now nealry fixed except for some reason the styling on my side bar on the single activity page is all over the place compared to the sidebar on all my other pages. ?

remotedevice
    Participant

@remotedevice

@brayne thanks – so simple

James
    Participant

@janismo

hi @nexia,

wouldn’t you mind sharing your approach on activity-popup, or at least some direction on how to do it?

thanks.

Sami kamal
    Participant

@kumo99

@nexia , @r-a-y
    can you explain how can you pull the permalinks template into a popup?

thanks

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Single activity item display layout and style discrepencies’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar