Categories
Search
Bottom

Subnav menu customization

• berndw
    Participant

@berndw

Hi there,
    First of all thanks for taking your time in reading my question and thanks in advance for providing any clues and suggestions. I’m new to WordPress and Buddypress but have worked a couple of years before using other frameworks/blog solutions like Serendipity (S9y).
    Now, I’ve installed WordPress with Buddypress in my own server (I’m setting up a webpage for an off-road enthusiasts club) using the default theme (BuddyPress Default 1.2.7 by BuddyPress.org).

I’ve been searching for some days now for a way to customize (rearrange and remove) some of the Subnav elements (the tabs on the bottom-line of the header image that reads ” Home – Activity – Members – Groups – Forums – Photo – Video”) but haven’t found something specific yet. There are lot of posts everywhere (with lots of comments) but they all end up with no specific answer or solution.
    Does anybody knows the way to customize or rearrange the subnav?
    Thanks!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• ARHistoryHub
    Participant

@arhistoryhub

There are a bunch of different ways to achieve this – but perhaps the easiest would be to install the Exclude Links from Navigation plugin. In the default WP Dashboard write screen, you can assign page orders / parents in the page attributes panel (just below the publish panel). And once the exclude from navigation plugin is installed, you can just check the box if you’d like to remove it from the menu.

berndw
    Participant

@berndw

Hi @ARHistoryHub, thanks for the reply. However I can’t find the plugin you mention. I searched the plugin directory for “Exclude Links from Navigation” or “Exclude from Navigation” but can’t find it. The only match that gets close is “Exclude Pages” but don’t seems to be what I need.
    I.e. I created two pages and they were automatically added to the subnav between the existing items. I’d like to move them to the front (after the ‘Home” menu item) and get rid of the last two items (Photo, Video). Maybe this screenshot will help explain me: http://www.wolsoft.com/contents/uploads/etc/wp-bp_subnav.png
    Thanks for the help.

ARHistoryHub
    Participant

@arhistoryhub

Okay, I gotcha. In order to place pages before the default buddypress menu tabs, you need to modify your theme’s header.php file. Look for some code that looks like this and paste it just after code that looks something like this <div id="header"><h1 id="logo"><a href=&quot;" title=""></a></h1>

Now your pages will appear before your buddypress menu items. If there something specific you want, you can just hard code in the header.php file with good ole fashioned html.

Oh, and that Exclude Page plugin will allow you to easily hide pages you create from being added to the menu.

berndw
    Participant

@berndw

Thanks again @ARHistoryHub! will try this one and post my results :-)

berndw
    Participant

@berndw

Here I am again! Thanks @ARHistoryHub – The first part of my problem is solved. The two pages I created are now located after the ‘Home’ item cutting and pasting the code as you suggested.
    Also, installed the ‘Exclude Pages’ plugin, however, this plugin works only for pages created by us. The items ‘Photo’ and ‘Video’ appeared by default when I installed Buddypress, so I looked around in the header.php file for these items but they don’t appear there.
    I’m having the feeling that this has something to do with the Kaltura setup that uses Buddypress. Do you know how to remove Kaltura from Buddypress? Cos I’m not going to need it.

ARHistoryHub
    Participant

@arhistoryhub

Are you using Buddypress 1.2.8? I think Kaltura only comes with the plugin BuddyPress Media Component. If you have that installed you could just disable it. Photo and Video are not default Buddypress component, I’m pretty sure they’re coming from a third party plugin.

berndw
    Participant

@berndw

Ok, I was making a problem out of nothing….Kaltura is declared just as another plugin in the list of plug ins as ‘BuddyPress Media Component with KalturaCE Support’. I just deactivated it and the two last items are gone!
    Thanks for all the help @ARHistoryHub

ARHistoryHub
    Participant

@arhistoryhub

Boom, posted same time. No problem @berndw !

berndw
    Participant

@berndw

Hehe, yes, I figured it out :-)

ARHistoryHub
    Participant

@arhistoryhub

Again!!! Some jQuery/AJAX action would keep us from doing this.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Subnav menu customization’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar