Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Update BP from “.com/beta/” to just “.com/”

• PJ
    Participant

@pjnu

I’m considering moving my site from .com/beta to just .com/ to shorten the URL. What will I need to do in WP and BP to make sure the transition goes smoothly? Is this possible or no?

Thanks.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Tmort
    Participant

@tmort

Not easy! My site is messed up due to this issue. I don’t recommend it, as I have found now way of fixing various issues. If anyone has an idea on how to fix it, I’d greatly appreciate it!

stwc
    Participant

@stwc

I’ve moved BP sites around, particularly from localhost dev boxes to a live site — it’s not all that hard, but you do need to

a) edit bb-config.php and wp-config.php
    b) go in to the MySQL database and edit every occurence of the old URL to the new one.
    c) make sure your htaccess files aren’t borked.

What I’d do, step by step, is

1) export your entire BP MySql database.
    2) search and replace URLs in the export file (but keep the original just in case)
    3) Move all the files to the new location on your server
    4) Make sure .htaccess, bb-config.php and wp-config.php are OK.
    5) Import the SQL file with the changes.
    6) Login and cross your fingers!

Honestly, though, I’m pretty sure that’s all I’ve ever done in moving from /localhost to a live server, and it’s worked fine. YMMV.

If you keep the original db export and original copies of any files you change and things do sideways, it shouldn’t be that hard to revert.

Tmort
    Participant

@tmort

@stwc problem is, I’m using wordpress in a different folder than the root of the domain. So my WP files live in domain.com/wordpress/ and my “wordpress blog” is at domain.com.

I was told by sever people, including r-a-y that I need to change the “buddypress default domain” or something of that nature. I was told to put this code in my functions.php file, but it doesn’t work. Any suggestions?

// Getting rid of the subfolder in URLs/permalinks
    function my_bp_override_core_domain() {
    $domain = get_bloginfo(‘url’);
    return $domain;
    }
    add_filter(‘bp_core_get_root_domain’,’my_bp_override_core_domain’);

stwc
    Participant

@stwc

Sorry @tmort, that just went above my pay grade ;-) Not at all sure how to deal with that.

Tmort
    Participant

@tmort

Above your pay grade, @stwc? Its not even in my department! Thanks for the feedback though, I have been battling this issue for a while and any/all feedback is appreciated.

PJ
    Participant

@pjnu

@Tmort ‘s position that it’s extremely complicated seems to be best answer. Makes sense.

Tmort
    Participant

@tmort

So I found that @r-a-y was able to get it working for someone else, but I’ve followed the instructions and still no luck. Heres the link anyway:

https://buddypress.org/community/groups/how-to-and-troubleshooting/forum/topic/permalinks-setup-with-wp-intalled-in-subdirectory-and-indexphp-in-root/?topic_page=1&num=15

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

Tmort’s situation is entirely different than pjnu’s.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Update BP from “.com/beta/” to just “.com/”’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar