Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Urgent: Usernames with dashes not working properly

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Brajesh Singh
    Participant

@sbrajesh

Hi Greg,
    Put this in bp-custom.php
    `
    define(‘BP_ENABLE_USERNAME_COMPATIBILITY_MODE’,true);
    `
    this should allow you to see their profile.

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

Thanks Brajesh. Added the line, no luck.

Brajesh Singh
    Participant

@sbrajesh

Hi Greg, which version of wp/bp you are using. Also, is it multisite install(I guess, It is). Have you used anything to enable spaces in username, because wpms/bp does not allow spaces in name by default?

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

wp 3.1.4 and bp 1.2.8, yes, ms.

No, nothing to enable spaces. That’s the weird part. we’ve never had a space/dash signup before.

There are a bunch of issues in BP 1.2.9 to do with spaces in user names and other weirdness (for example, in @mentions). BP_ENABLE_USERNAME_COMPATIBILITY_MODE basically tells BP to look up the user name in the URL against the wp_user table’s user_login column. By default, it uses the user_nicename column.

I think the answer might be to change this user’s nicename. What does it look like in the database?

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

deleted.

I’m signing them up again…

You think fixed in 1.2.9?

No, but (afaik) definitely on 1.3. Try to break it on testbp.org if you get bored!

I have the opposite problem. I’m starting a site where users will sign up with first and last name as their username with a space between the first and last.

What do I need to change so the site won’t convert an entered username of ‘Steven Sanchez’ to ‘Steven-Sanchez’? I’d like the site to accept usernames with a space.

Thanks!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Urgent: Usernames with dashes not working properly’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar