Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Joining a buddy press site?

• christian.j.king
    Participant

@christianjking

I just discovered buddy press and am excited to include it in my site (http://network.theunsignedsounds.com); but, I’m having trouble figuring out how visitors are expected to be able to join the site and start sharing. There doesn’t seem to be a “Register” option and when they click on “Sign in”, it just brings them to the wordpress log-in, which they may or may not have registered for. Also, when I try and click on “Activity” or “Members”, I keep getting a “Page not found” error; is that just because there’s nobody registered or any activity yet?

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You need to enable user registration: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/how-to-enable-user-registration-log-in

And make sure you’ve set custom permalinks. Otherwise, we’ll need more details to help

christian.j.king
    Participant

@christianjking

Thanks for the help. Enabling user registration did the trick, but I’m still getting Page not found errors whenever I click on anything beyond the first page. I’ve set up custom permalinks, but it didn’t change anything. Any suggestions?

And what message if any did you see when setting permalinks? If you saw a lot of code that is suggestive that WP wasn’t able to update your .htaccess file and is showing you what needs to go in the file. You’ll need to confirm that you actually have mod_rewrite working correctly, perhaps first disable BP and ensure that WP works correctly with permalink structure for posts.

Edit// I note that you have a url structure with that dreaded index.php in, ‘Almost pretty permalinks’ ? I think that you perhaps ought to read the WP codex page on permalinks to arm yourself with a little further understanding of this area and how to deal with it, you may have to add a custom link structure adding in the index.php/year/month/etc

https://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks

christian.j.king
    Participant

@christianjking

hnla, that really helps me pinpoint the problem. My permalink structure (/%day%/%monthnum%/%year%/%postname%/) is not working correctly, which I can see now that I disabled BP. Unfortunately, I’m completely lost with the mod_rewrite part. I read that page, but am unsure what I have to do to get the permalinks working properly. I created the .htaccess file, which didn’t change anything and now I’m kind of just flying blind…

christian.j.king
    Participant

@christianjking

@hnla do you know of any tutorials for noobs like myself?

None that I can think of that don’t get far more technical than the WP page, the WP page is about the simplest series of pointers and explanations. Did you try creating a custom structure? i.e adding in ‘index.php’ prefacing what ever %day%%decade%century% structure you wanted, although I’m not sure that that doesn’t create issues with BP

christian.j.king
    Participant

@christianjking

Thanks, I haven’t experimented much since I was hoping to see if there was any comprehensive info out there; but, I’ll work on it soon. I thought you implied that the index.php was a bad thing to have in the permalink?

Having index.php in the url path is a pretty meaningless exercise especially as part of the point of permalinks is to produce a url that is human readable and aids search engines by providing keyword rich urls rather than index.php?p=267 which is fairly obtuse.

Out of interest what server are you running on and what type of access to it do you have?

christian.j.king
    Participant

@christianjking

@hnla I guess I’m not sure what you mean? I have an ftp server that serves http://network.theunsignedsounds.com and I’ve installed wordpress under that domain. I wondered if I added you to the site, would you be able to pinpoint what the problem is? I’m at a complete loss here and have tried uninstalling/reinstalling a few times to no avail.

It’s nothing you can fix from the admin of WordPress, as it’s completely server side.

Are you on a Winders server?
    Can you ask your host about removing index.php from the permalinks?

christian.j.king
    Participant

@christianjking

Thanks! I don’t think I’m on a Winders server; but, I’ll contact my host about removing that; thank you!

I suspect that you are on a Zeus server and unfortunately that means there is an issue resolving this, your best bet is to hassle your hosts tech support and ask if there is any way of resolving this.

christian.j.king
    Participant

@christianjking

Thanks… I’m looking into what type of server the site is hosted on. I’m relatively new to all this, so I haven’t been able to locate the information on my hosting site’s control panel. Is there a more in-depth, step-by-step guide to installing buddy press out there? It seems like the install through the wordpress dashboard is only part of a larger process that I didn’t quite realize I was getting myself into.

Ultimately, my goal is to create a portion of my site for musicians, bands, and fans to connect to each other plan shows, explore lesser-known venues, and plan tours. It’s a lofty goal, I know; but, I think Buddy Press will help me a great deal on my way there.

Thanks again for all the help; you’re all very knowledgable and it’s much appreciated.

“I haven’t been able to locate the information on my hosting site’s control panel.”

File a support ticket and ask them.

I’ll save you the bother of asking you’re on a Zeus server so you have problems sadly, this server does not do mod_rewrite and includes the index.php in the permalink pathinfo

This server is an issue and to be honest if you can I would try and move before you get too settled in, it it’s simply not worth the hassle, WP/BP and most other sites run best on LAMP stacks LAMP simply works and runs 98% of the web.

christian.j.king
    Participant

@christianjking

Thanks! I got a reply for my support ticket inquiry and you’re very correct, I’m on Zeus servers. If I switch, how complicated is it to change hosting when my information is already on their servers? Do you suggest any particular hosting company?

It’s not at all difficult if your switching servers moving a site from domain to same domain, essentially you just need a complete copy of all site files, a mysql dump of the database (what does Zeus run as a DB I wonder?) on the new server you create a new empty DB with same name and import your sql gzip/zip backup dump to that new db, upload your site files to the new server in whatever is the doc_root directory and as long as you’ve repointed your domain DNS records to the new server then you should be good to go.

christian.j.king
    Participant

@christianjking

Okay, I found a host with LAMP servers. I’m transferring my hosting over to them via ftp; but, I’m curious if this will wipe out all my WP data. Any suggestions regarding maintaining the content/settings from one install to another?

Everything (content/settings) is saved in the database. So if you export it from the old site and import it on the new, you have all your content.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Joining a buddy press site?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar