Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Allow Users to add fields

• thomas
    Participant

@wearedead

I’m building a buddypress looking like LinkedIn, but i need to make users able to add more than one professional experience.
    For now, i made a profile field called “Experience”, where there is some info to fill in….but how could i do to let the user add more than the existing fields.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • With difficulty. I would suggest best approach is to create a new field group add a series of text fields the user ‘could’ use, ensure they are optional, user fills in what they wish and you only display those fields that return a value i.e have been completed. note: a new field group will only be editable from the user profile and would not appear on sign up page by default, if required on sign up page then add new fields to the base group.

Roger Coathup
    Participant

@rogercoathup

@thomas – this is something we are also looking at. @hnla is on the right lines, the following thread throws some more light on the problem:

https://buddypress.org/community/groups/how-to-and-troubleshooting/forum/topic/dynamically-create-new-sets-of-profile-fields/

Hmm all sounds pretty much doable along the lines Boone suggests.

I would draw issue on creating fields via JavaScript though that’s a flawed approach, using JavaScript to show the fields on demand perhaps

Roger Coathup
    Participant

@rogercoathup

@hnla – what’s the ‘beef’ with Javascript for the field creation? I assume Boone is just meaning the UI to insert the form fields, etc.

Roger Coathup
    Participant

@rogercoathup

p.s. it’s the grouping fields as @hnla points out, that is one of the tricky points.

In old language terms: we needs structs, and then arrays of structs

beef is simply ‘Graceful Degradation’, creating input via Client Side scripting not a good approach no gracefull fallback, but wondering now whether I read Boones post carefully enough? Perhaps that wasn’t what he was thinking?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Allow Users to add fields’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar