Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

buddypress versus diaspora

• Ekine
    Participant

@ekine

Trying to figure out which software would fit best for my next project. Did I forget any advantages or disadvantages?

diaspora advantages
    – pictures
    – mobile
    – social
    – communication between server pods

diaspora disadvantages
    – no group add-on
    – no event add-on yet
    – no search engine traffic
    – monetizing difficult (no public content for adsense)

buddypress advantages
    – events (monetize with paypal)
    – groups
    – mobile add-on
    – social

buddypress disadvantage
    – no good album plugin
    – depends on wordpress (could be also an advantage)
    – no privacy addon

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• modemlooper

@modemlooper

Bp-Privacy plugin was just released and Bp Album + works great.

In my opinion Diaspora is a flash in the pan. BP is not going away.

Ekine
    Participant

@ekine

With Bp Album + you can only upload one picture at a time. Users prefer selecting batch uploading. Also, only one album per user is possible. I know that there is supposed to come the new version out which has all those features, but the release date is unsure. I am pretty certain that bp is not going away but most likely diaspora will also be around.

modemlooper

@modemlooper

Diaspora has one failing goal and that is to compete with Facebook.

Ekine
    Participant

@ekine

To me it seems like that this goal was a marketing strategy in order to get the project financed which worked surprisingly good. The best feature I like about this software is that that each server install is able to communicate with each other. This means that I can have friends on different domains and still share content information. This is something which I haven’t seen before.

But that’s the point about Diaspora, Diaspora is less about an actual social networking site such as might be created with BP and more about demonstrating the proof of concept that is ‘Decentralised Social Networking’, it and others are trying to find a way through to the goal of not having YOUR data ‘Owned’ by anyone but yourself. BP did much to counter the issue many had with the likes of Ning ‘Owning’ your data, but from the users point of view you are still locked into ONE site and there’s the other issue of countless accounts, logins etc with their data strewn around disparate sites, and would like to simply create one account that holds your social profile and you allow sites to access that as you wish.

There is a – apparently – small? but rising dissatisfaction with the likes of Farcebook, I don’t think Diaspora is setting out to compete with Farcebook but simply prove that decentralising is possible.

Talking of all this what ever happened to SocialRiver? trumpeted and heralded by WPMU blog as the next greatest thing , supposedly with support for BP, has that simply died? Judging by their blog it feels like it, however there has been a post recently, first since July , saying close to beta release!.

modemlooper

@modemlooper

There is already a wp plugin that allows sites to connect user accounts across domains. Doesn’t use BP xprofile though.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘buddypress versus diaspora’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar