Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Drupal Commons vs Buddypress vs Ellg vs Jcow vs boonex vs Oxwall

• newpress
    Participant

@newpress

What are the pros and cons of each over one another?

(and this is to Paul Gibbs the Almighty from the mighty Telegraph network, this thread isnt meant to bash Buddypress on its own grounds, to fuel a nice discussion around an epic topic instead and to learn through each others experiences. I have started a similar discussion at drupal.org too. Its just a search away. Search with the same topic title and bingo! You will be there hearing drupalians thoughts)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• newpress
    Participant

@newpress

Any inputs about drupal commons pros and cons?

Michael Sanborn
    Participant

@michaelsanborn

Speaking as a dabbler (not a PHP coder) who’s been poking around with Drupal Commons and BuddyPress a while:

Drupal Commons Pros —
    One very nicely designed feature set
    Very close to being ready out-of-the-box
    Well-suited for professional or corporate use
    Blog well-integrated with other features

Drupal Commons Cons (compared with BP) —
    Somewhat configurable, but within a relatively narrow range
    Small number of themes
    Themes difficult to customize after a point
    Not ideal for non-business users; neither warm nor fuzzy
    Blog has very few features
    Getting plugins for additional features to work is often more challenging
    Drupal community, while very friendly, doesn’t address the non-technical user as readily as the WP/BP community; they’re not quite, but almost, exclusive to developers. In fairness, they’re very helpful to beginning developers.

Hope this helps.

Drupal and ‘Commons’ is not intended or aimed at non developers so the comparison is somewhat null and void, it’s a developers platform.

This thread isn’t really suitable for this forum and it has been mentioned to newpress before.

newpress: Calling out moderators, especially in the way you have to me in the first post, which I take offence to, is impolite. Put effort into improving your behaviour on this forum.

Here are the top 3 reasons why Buddypress is the best solution…

1. A Larger User Base
    2 .A Larger User Base
    3. A Larger User Base

newpress
    Participant

@newpress

Here are the top 3 reasons
    why Buddypress is the best
    solution… 1. A Larger User Base
    2 .A Larger User Base
    3. A Larger User Base

I say a big “No” to your comment. You have to convince me otherwise. Yes its kind wierd, NO ACTIVITY IS GOING ON at commons.drupal.org. But Com has an ocean of settings and they are porting all elements to drupal 7 and soon there will be a bit polished version. At the moment my servers are moving at the will of the host, so I just peeped to see whats happening here. I am still figuring things out. Lets see how things go.
    I wont be reluctant to abandon it if I find even a single hitch

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Drupal Commons vs Buddypress vs Ellg vs Jcow vs boonex vs Oxwall’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar